Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beotian/Dipylon Shield
This is a project by my good friend Ralf Izard who is quated gere:

"I finally finished sanding the core of the Diplon/Boeotian shield... and have attached three images. The shield is lighter than it looks. When I cut the notches out the shield body gained a noticable spring like quality. It makes it a little bit flexable in the upper and lower body sections. When I add the interior pieces and exterior, I do not know if this quality will remain. The larger the notches, the more the lateral flexability. As to the present size of the notches, if anyone has any sinput on making them larger, let me know.

My advise on sanding: Use a plane belt sander with 40-50 grit belt for the outside. For the inside, use an angle grinder with a 24 piece chain saw attachment. This is a 4 inch wheel with a chain saw like edge. It can also be used for filming horror movies. If this gets away from you during use, run from it. Finish the inside with sanding disks for the same grinder. The finish inside and out is a lot smoother to the touch than it loos like in the pictures. I found using hand tools made the wood splinter frequently, but not with power tools. Use face protection and a mask. This is a miserable process and cover everything in your shop. It only takes a few days of work, but I kept putting it off because the process is so dirty.

Behind the shield is the bronze casting investing/vacume machine and some other equipment I got several weeks ago. Because of the dust created by the sanding, I could not unpack this equipment until the shield core was finished. Now I will make the fittings by reposse tenique and by casting some of the pieces. Only three months behind schedule... "

Kind regards
Please see here the inside of the shield.
laudes to Ralf.
Enjoy
Great job. I just finished an aspis in the same manner and it was difficult to say the least. Only advise is to make sure you brace the front of the shield when you attach any fittings as you can hammer the layers back apart so only use just enough force to nail on the propax and fittings. I am also planning on doing a Boetian so please keep posting progress pics. I saw your earlier post. I just used a belt sander with 50 grit to do the outside and inside. I set a rolled up towel under the shield to protect the facing, set a 35 pound dumbell in the center to hold it steady, and attacked it at multiple angles to smooth it out. I really want to start a similiar shield and think I can do it after the aspis, but like you said.......after cleaning my wife's car, washing machine, and all the stuff in our garage, I am simply demotivated to start another greek shield for several months. Very, very, very dusty. Any way, looking good. How are you going to paint it?
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie
I want to thank my friend Stephanos for posting these images for me. I don't have a web site and he has always been kind enough to do this. I also think it was a good idea , Stephanos , to put the construction details in the Re-Enactment and Reconstruction topic.

The next process will be lining the inside with thin black leather and adding the bronze fittings. This will be somewhat problematic as the exact placing and number and type of components as the pectoral images are somewhat varied.

Thanks again to Hoplite41gr.

Ralph Izard
Thanks,Ralph and Stefanos for this update.Very nice work.I'm very excited to see the end product.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
This shield was at its prime at the time of Gentlemen Hoplites of the Archaic period so black or red leather inside lining is more than ok.
For the completly dedicated reenactors internal images are a must too.
As for the emblem well we are in era of personal images with the only restriction be the clan/fratria and the patron daiety of the group.
Kind regards
NICE!! That's a beautiful shield Big Grin wink:
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
The Greek hoplon is one of the things I searched for but never found one that looked convincing offered by any supplier! The quality of your shield is what one would expect from a well made hoplon as well!

Sincerely

Byron Angel(opoulos) Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:The Greek hoplon is one of the things I searched for but never found one that looked convincing offered by any supplier! The quality of your shield is what one would expect from a well made hoplon as well.

Thanks for the comments, all.

All I did was extend Matt Amp's hoplon design by 7.5 inches. Cutting the rings , and gluing them together takes about two days. The sanding using power tools, the belt sander and the angle grinder takes about two to three more. It is not hard to do, but do it outside and wear a face shield and resperator. The dust is unbelievable. I will make an aspis next. Outside. My neighbor is old and sick so I don't want to run the equipment while she is home, so I will time it with her hospital schedule.

The next part is the Bronze fillings. This will be more fun. The porax will be shaped on a pipe former after annealing, The lateral wings extending from the porax will be reposse, and the ring doohinguses will be cast using the lost wax method. That is what the contraption in the background of the picture is for. The alloy used will not contain zinc, as it is a later, more Roman formula.

And as Stephanos points out, this period shield need a lot of interior decoration.

Thanks all,

Ralph Izard
Hi Ralph,

Once more bravo. Do you have a cost estimate gor the shield so far?
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Honor to those who in the life they lead
define and guard a Thermopylae.
Never betraying what is right,
consistent and just in all they do
but showing pity also, and compassion
Kavafis the Alexandrian
power scroll saw - $70, belt sander- 70$, angle grinder- $50. With chainsaw grinding head $24, disk grinding heads $5. Wood $60. Glue $11. Replacement belts for the sander, $4 a pair and many trips to the Hardware store which cause long delays in the production time since you simply don't want to go deal with the store employees. Cost of first shield core: $250. Cost of second shield core: wood $60, and replacement belts $15 = $75. Cost of divorce for getting sawdust all over the house will depend on court judgment and legal fees.

The angle grinder with the chainsaw head is the best thing for rough shaping the interior. It can also be used if you wish to make a grade C horror film where people get dismembered. Power tools can also be used for normal around the house things also, until your neighbor borrows them.

Next: The bronze fittings:
Bronze equipment, basic tools for wax modeling and soldering, workshop grade $1500 (for class). Includes hammers, files, and a lot of things I don't know what are for. .. Investment / casting pump, burnout oven, and assortment of tools in kit form, $2600. Additional items on order: wax oven, electromelt and god knows what else, $1500. Maybe. Bronze sheet, $9.00 a sheet. Casting bronze $8.00 per lb. Cost of first Porax and fillings: $5600 plus about $6.00 of bronze. Cost of second Porax and fittings: $7.00, from the bronze and expendables like investment and propane.

It is hard to do any casting without a second person to help. This person must also know what they are doing, so you wind up with someone from the Art Department, who then, of course, wants to use your equipment for their Monumental Project That Will Shake The Art World. This is OK, but they need to be reminded of the nasty comments they made on your last critique. With any luck, she will be cute and not too politically extreme in the pieces she wants to produce. Most likely you will get some guy who does post modern crap you don't understand and don't want around. This will include having to listen to the inexcapable and lengthy explanations of the Monumental Project. You will also be told what you are doing is not ART, and it is, there for, a waste of time. They are also drinking your liquor while they tell you this.

Have not priced the leather yet. I am broke until next week, as far as this project goes.

Ralph Izard
:lol: :lol:
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Honor to those who in the life they lead
define and guard a Thermopylae.
Never betraying what is right,
consistent and just in all they do
but showing pity also, and compassion
Kavafis the Alexandrian
Well done, Ralph! Laudes to you (with bronze knobs on!) I told you to go for it! I'm a great devotee of the angle grinder myself, but I recently acquired a power planer for just £30 ($50-$60?) and I love it. I have to work outside most of the time, although my saintly neighbour lets me use her garage on wet days. I think I'll start my own Boeotian shield soon. I really envy you your bronze-working capability - even at the cost of having to listen to artists. Have you discussed the effects of the chainsaw on human flesh with them?
Quote: I think I'll start my own Boeotian shield soon.
I really envy you your bronze-working capability - even at the cost of having to listen to artists. Have you discussed the effects of the chainsaw on human flesh with them?

Go for it Paul... It seems the size of the side notches decrease in size the later the design evolves. Mine seems to be circa 570 or later. I am going to enlarge them a bit and put a slight angle towards the center. This came from one crater that seems to date circa 600.

One of the sculpture instructors, (who found an intense dislike for me when she found out I was a Vet, and an ex-cop, and straight to boot), told a tale of a graduate art show at UCLA where a student committed suicide by cutting herself on stage with a razor blade, to the applause of the faculty who thought it was performance art. The chainsaw thing, I keep away from the post-modernist crowd.

Ralph Izard
Sorry! Confusedhock: :? roll:

I think I will just fall on my sword after a long ( and probably undistinguished) career! Big Grin

Also, why does she dislike animal doctors? Sorry, couldn't resist that one!
No offense intended! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel