Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP!?!?! Before I snap and break something...
Which Roman family are you playing at the minute? If you are still the Scipii definatly take Carthage and enslave them It's great for your economy, Egypt Is also a great moneymaker.
If you encounter elephants just attack them with fire arrows and they will run amok fairly quickly, and generally run into their own troops. As for phalanxes space your men widely apart during the deployment phase and set them to fire at will. Then when they attack you wheel around the flanks and they will soon rout. This Is made easier If you put your weaker infantry in the center and the heavy infantry on the flanks.
Cavalry auxilia are very useful also If you take them around the flanks of the phalanxes and have them throw their spears into their backs and this will kill alot more than If you shoot from the front.
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus
[Image: comitatus.jpg]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">www.comitatus.net
Yeah, i'm the Scipii. I actually just took Carthage last night, and i'm now laying seige to the city just south of there...Thespus or something. I'm also laying seige to Thesalonica, which will basically just leave Athens left on the Greek peninsula, since I've already taken Corinth and Sparta.

Once I take those two cities, I think i'm going to save up my money and go back to upgrading my cities.

Legion: TBD
Yep, that sounds like a good idea, you could also expand gradually along north Africa as the Numidians aren't much of a challenge. By the way if you want to see all of the map (you might already have done this Smile ) press tab then type toggle_fow and that makes all of the map visible.
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus

Now you're on the right track. Carthage is a tough city to keep, though, it's always rebelling. If you just can't manage after a while to keep the red face off the city status bar, you can first retrain all your troops, and make a few more, then raise the taxes to the max, step outside of the city with all your army, which will cause it to rebel, then reconquer it, and exterminate the rebellious scum! Then fix the city this way: One at a time, tear down all the indiginous buildings and replace them with their Roman counterparts. In other words, make it a Roman city instead of an occupied Carthagenian city, as much as you can. Some things don't matter, like farms and roads. But the kind of barracks, etc that you build will have an effect on how "Romanized" the city is.

Also, any troublesome city works better with a governor. When you get new family members in your capital, don't forget to put a load of them on a boat and transfer them where you need them. Land them on a shore, and direct each one to a different town. Most of the time, the production and happiness of a city will increase when you do that, and you can move on to more important things.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
That was strange :lol: I would say try not to let It rebel and then exterminate them as It only gives you a short term cash boost and Is worse for your economy In the long run, but If It's going to revolt anyway you should probably do this.
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus

It seems to be, though I haven't done extensive research, that the former capital of a faction is the most "nationalized", such as Carthage, Athens, Corduba, etc., and the hardest to subjugate. They rebel more often, and much more attention has to be paid to them to keep them in line... But once all the buildings are replaced with Roman counterparts, they seem to stay happier and under control. Maybe they "remember their former greatness" when they see their old buildings, I dunno.

Sometimes, when seiged with a much larger force, when I know my troops are doomed, I'll wreck all the buildings I can (and retrieve some of the money), then attack the enemy force (there seems to be a slight advantage with the attacker) and aim for his best troops or the general, hoping to kill off some family member of the enemy. An army of 100 in a seiged city attacked by 600 under the AI will lose anyway, so why give the enemy anything you don't have to?

Other times, I'll pillage several cities in an enemy territory--conquer the city, retrain what troops I can, then wreck all the buildings and move on to the next town. Make the enemy rebuild, then come back later and do it again. It's like an attack on the economy--you don't get as much for a building through demolition as it cost, but you didn't pay anything for it, so it's just free money. Often, the Senate will reward you for retaking that town within 10 turns, so I let the enemy begin the rebuild, then retake it. Win/win.

One thing I DON'T like about this game is that you can't capture the people in a city, and recruit them like mercenaries. That was not unheard of. Oh, well. Good game, all around.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yeah that would be good but I think It would be fairly hard to impliment. In Medieval 2 Total War you can capture prisoners during battle and If you win you get the option to Release Execute or Ransom.
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus

So far I've been ok with Carthage, though the tax rate is lowest and i'm holding daily games...I think i'll look at the buildings and demolish some of the non-roman ones as you said.

Yeah, my next plan of invasion was the African Coast, then after that, maybe egypt and start working my way up the coast up and link up with the greek area.

Travel light in Egypt. Lots of projectiles, lots of cavalry, less heavy infantry, etc. It's hot over there, and if you look at the Egyptian armies (whose chariots will slaughter your infantry much to your dismay), you'll see they're mostly composed of spearmen, and fast cavalry, and huge archer components.

When in Rome ---
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
do as the Romans Smile The Iberian peninsula Is worth taking once you have all of north Africa aswell. If the marian reforms have happened when/if you decide to invade Egypt take some Auxilia they have good stamina and are pretty decent troops, some legionary cohorts would be useful aswell to be a target for their archers (while in testudo.).
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus

Roman Cavalry and Legionary Cavalry (you'll likely have to ship them over from an old city) melt archers like butter in the sun. Of course general officers' bodyguards do, but there's not so many of them, and you kinda need to keep the generals alive.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Cool, thanks guys. What about field artillery like scorpions and ballista?

Magnus,

which version do you play? If you haven't done it yet download the 1.5 patch (or 1.6 if you have Barbarian Invasion installed as well) from www.totalwar.com . It's essential because there was a load/save bug in the previous versions. The AI broke everytime you loaded a save game. That means in the turn and the one after all AI factions stopped it's aggressivity immediately: wherever it was possible (there were diplomats in range) factions make peace, all ongoing sieges were lifted, every army in hostile territory begin to whitdraw.

About taking foreign cities:
there are five distinct cultures in the game: roman, greek, eastern, egyptian and barbarian. If you (as a roman) occupy a city with buildings from other cultures than you will get culture penalty (black-and-white faces in the settlement details screen) in that city (ranging from 5 to 50%). It depends on the number of foreign culture buildings. You can decrease it by raising buildings of your culture, but you don't have to destroy the buildings, it's enough when you upgrade them and they will convert to your culture.

Other factors that modify the morale of your settlements:
- size of the settlement (squalor - displayed by small rats)
- distance from your capital (wheels)
- enemy spy in the city (unrest - two crossed swords)
- unrest (there are some cities, for example Jerusalem, which have a basic unrest value of 15-30%)
- population boom (if the population increases by more then 5% it boosts morale - the more the better)
- garrison army (it is compared to the overall size of the settlement, you need larger garrison for bigger cities)
- happiness buildings (temples, theatres, baths etc)
- influence of the governor (if there is any - the more the better)
- the governor's traits can also affect the morale of the city in a lot of ways (negative & positive)

About Carthage:
It doesn't matter what you do, Carthage will sooner or later rebell, because it has a huge natural population increase rate (note the small grain icon next to the city is not a coincidence :lol: )

About beating hoplites/phalangites:
I always bring 8-10 skirmishing units (velites, archers etc) plus 4-5 cavalry.
- with your cavalry first destroy the enemy's cavalry and skirmishers but avoid any contact with the phalanxes.
- form a battle line with your skirmishers in front ot the phalanx.
- sit back and relax as you watch the individual phalanx units start to chase your skirmishers (don't forget to turn skirmishing mode on) spreading out the whole battlefield without any support from friendly units. :lol:
- now one-by-one anahilite the separated units by attacking them from ALL directions at once with your cavalry. They will break instant.
Easy prey! 8)

Against Egypt:
The real thorn in the side are those damned chariots. The best counter-chariot units are elephants, what you don't have as a roman.
The main thing about chariots: never, and I say never, use cavalry against them, except missile cavalry, because they will be hacked to pieces within seconds. Lots of archers and high morale heavy infantry (forget velites and such things - go for praetorians)

Personally I don't like field artillery (in 1.5 the catapults are VERY inaccurate, the other thingies are just to slow for me, but sometimes they can kill the enemy general outright with the first volley which can be real fun).
Valete,

József Janák
Miles Gregarius
Legio I Adiutrix
Pannoniciani Seniores
Brigetio, Pannonia
Laudes point for you Jozsef! Thanks for the guide.

Oh, and I forgot to mention if you install the 1.5 patch your previous saved games will be probably lost. So it's your choice, but I think it's more than worth because the AI is faaar more challenging both on the strategic map and during battles.

Thanks for the laudes!
Valete,

József Janák
Miles Gregarius
Legio I Adiutrix
Pannoniciani Seniores
Brigetio, Pannonia