Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'Native\' clothing..
In the quest for information on the Auxilia, i would like to know more about what 'the natives' would have been wearing in Northern Europe at the turn of the 2nd century. I am talking about day-to-day clothing for the average person, such as tunicas, trousers, and especially footwear ( a subject that raises many questions for the second century, i am told).
I would be grateful for any suggestions, or information.
Adrian
Adrian Hudson
Hello Adrian

Try getting hold of the articles by J.P. Wild on clothing in the North West Roman Provinces.

They are published as follows:

'Clothing in the North West Provinces of the Roman Empire'. Bonner Jahrbucher 168, 1968.

The Clothing of Britannia, Gallia Belgica and Germania Inferior. ANRW. II 1985.

You will also find his following articles useful

The Byrrus Britannicus, Antiquity 37, 1963.

The Caracallus, Latomus 23, 1964.

You should get these from a good University library however failing that Alex Croom's book 'Roman Clothing and Fashion', might be more commercially available but does not cover the items in as much detail.

Hope this helps

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Very good reading list, to which I would add the chapter on Roman-era footwear in northwestern Europe in 'Stepping Through Time' by Olaf Goubitz et al. (ISBN 9080104469) for an excellent treatment of that subject.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach