Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Furniture from Herculaneum
Has anybody read the book ‘Wooden Furniture in Herculaneum’ by Stephan Mols :?:
It looks very promising! 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
It's out of print as far as I can tell, and the cost on Amazon is $130 US.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
OK, but is it worth the money? 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:Has anybody read the book ‘Wooden Furniture in Herculaneum’ by Stephan Mols :?:
It looks very promising! 8)

Aitor

Hi Aitor,

I have had it in my hands, maybe about 2 years ago (the State Library here in Munich has it). I didn't actually read it front to back, but remember well that it is cetainly a good source for reconstructions and such, dealing not only with wooden furniture in itself but also with a number of other materials, e.g. bone hinges used for cupboard doors.
130 USD - if you want to build a number of furniture pieces, yes, certainly, otherwise I don't think I'd pay it.
Stephan works at Nijmegen uni. Want me to ask him something or make some copies?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Many thanks for the information, Martin! Big Grin I think that it will be an interesting purchase!

Many thanks to you, too, Jasper! Big Grin //www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/20558/OnlyResult/Yes:lqf8o9vb]Oxbow[/url] is offering it at low price and, if my order arrives in time for getting one I shan't need to pester you! :wink:

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Quote:Stephan works at Nijmegen uni. Want me to ask him something or make some copies?

That's good to know. I might eventually get back to youabout that, Jasper, if I may. Though thinking about all the things I would like to make/build, it'll probably be years ... Sad
20 pounds/$38 is not too bad. Since I do the caupona this might be worthwhile, but Oxbow US (David Brown) doesn't stock it.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I'll tell you if I get an answer from them on Monday. Fingers crossed in the meanwhile... :roll:

Aitor

Rolf Steiner