Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCUTUM, building and testing, some thoughts
Coppicing is when the tree is cut near the base after and year or two (depending on various factors) encouraging the tree to grow as several smaller trunks (usually fairly straight), a similar process called pollarding is done in areas where livestock are kept, the difference being the tree is allowed to grow to 6ft ish before it is "coppiced" thus keeping the new shoot out of the way of cow/sheep/deer etc.

Some trees coppice naturally anyway (e.g Hazel) Coppiced trees can bee steamed very straight (done in the bronze age), I have had a go myself.

However all the bits in roman spear sockets I have seen from illustrating objects (several from the roman site Mike was talking about) have been split from portions of radial planks (usually ash), which is still strong but much easier to split and straighter, this is true of spearshafts from the 9-11th century I have seen and some of the 18-19th century tools at a farming museum where I do some work, even some of the tools they have which came from an old coppicing site!

cheers all,
and laudes to Hib, I too do this for personal interest and not the public, and so enjoy experimenting with techniques, I enjoy spending the time and effort doing this! Each to their own I suppose Big Grin we have recently built a forge and bellows and are now making some nice knives, caltrops and ballista points, next years were enlarging the hearth and going into spearheads and pilum shafts! Sure I could buy them, but I like getting burnt and smelling like smoke for a week!
On a cold and gray Chicago mornin\'
A poor little baby child is born
In the ghettoooooo...
(vocalist extrodinaire- Eric Cartman)

Messages In This Thread
Ok, what is this? - by Neuraleanus - 11-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Re: SCUTUM, building and testing, some thoughts - by adamparsons - 11-13-2006, 06:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scutum Testing Redux Hibernicus 0 754 10-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Hibernicus