Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCUTUM, building and testing, some thoughts
Okay, so then:

1) Just how much different is grain density of the wood used to make original scuta vs. that of modern wood and how significant is the difference with respect to its functionality?

2) Which artifact(s) show the layers of scuta were made with different woods?

3) Just how much timber cultivation was going on during the time semi-cylindrical scuta were being made?

4) Which artifact(s) show evidence of specific selection of wood?

5) Which artifact set(s) of umbo and at least an upper or lower and either side edging all clearly from the same shield show that the middle was thicker than all 4 edges?
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I have an idea on the reason for the thinning towards to the edges. It allows for the scutum to be held more stably, and not be so prone for the "pinkie" method to tip it over. The comparatively heavier weight at the centre helps to facilitate this, even though it would still be fairly easy to tip, but levering it back to a more defensive posture with the wrist would be far easier.

If barbarian shields didn't have this feature then that put them at a disadvantage, but if they did then it was an even match.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Changing the center of gravity? Has possibilities though from my experience any horizontal grip shield held out is seriously prone to the pinky of doom!!

I think it was to reduce weight where it was not as crucial.

Cambering the edges makes it easier to accomodate a narrower shield edge. Something you might do if the shield edge guy made them a bit smaller than you anticipated.. gotta make them fit!
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Good news regarding a proper Dura semicylindrical scutum reproduction..

.. we ought to have enough planewood very soon

.. and we're looking at acquiring a proper band saw to mill it into very narrow strips... less waste with a band saw.... a table saw with a narrow kerf blade almost cuts away nearly 50% when making very narrow strips.. 50% loss! Yikes!!

Anyone need barrels of sawdust?
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

"Anyone need barrels of sawdust?"

Hey Hibericus! You could always try the Saloon, in Kalispel, Montana!
They used to put sawdust on the flors when I was there! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
IIRC, wasn't sawdust used to clean armour?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
We'll be conducting some "destructive" testing of two scutums over the next few months.

We'll be chucking pila at them, shooting arrows at them and scorpio bolts.

We're even going to shoot at them with 1770's and 1860's era firearms.

News at 10!
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scutum Testing Redux Hibernicus 0 733 10-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Hibernicus