Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Auxiliae organisation?
I´ve figured out that a simplistically explained a Legion was arranged in 9 Cohorts of 6 Ceturia each with a number of Legionaires in.

And a lot of sourses say that the auxiliae was aranged in similiar ways. What ways?

For example the Auxiliae units are called Cohors. Where thise Cohors divided into cohorts too and how many soldiers where there in a Auxiliae Cohort and how where they organised ... oh my timeframe is late first c. to mid second.

Many thanx..

Martin
Auxiliary cohorts, like legionary cohorts, were organised into centuries. The assumption is that the standard quingenary cohort has six centuries of eighty men, giving it a paper strength of 480 men. A stronger milliary cohort had ten centuries, giving it a paper strength of 800 (unless it had one or more 'double centuries' like the legion's first cohort may have had).

Auxiliary cavalry quingenary alae had 16 turmae of 32 horsemen each, giving them a papers strength of 512 men. A milliary ala had 24 turmae, making 768 troopers.

Then there were the mixed cohortes equitatate, combining horse and foot. A quingenary cohors equitata had 6 centuries and 4 turmae, making 608 men, while a milliary one had ten centuries and eight alae, making 1056 men.

None of these figures are unconmtroversial, but unless you want to sare the sobering realisation how little we actually know about the Roman Army (it's like going out to ice-fish and finding the ice is two inches thick...), I would suggest taking them and running with them. They're likely to be at least broadly right, and paper strength doesn't mean much anyway.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belts on Auxiliae! Martin Wallgren 1 964 03-24-2007, 12:22 AM
Last Post: Peroni