Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman/Iron Age Skewers
I'm cooking barbequed livers in a couple of days to a Roman recipe, and I have some iron to make skewers. I noticed that in Livy, one of the generals tells his soldiers to dump their gear and carry only a mess bucket and a skewer.

Before I make 'something up' (!!) does anyone have any photos or drawings of British iron-age or Roman skewers/spits??

I am going to post this on the Enemies Forum too... Smile
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
I got one of an iron skewer from Regensburg, but that is probably for home use, not military. Do you want it? SAy where to mail it if you do.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Yes please Volker!

I'll PM my email address.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
As already done in another thread here is a pic of a "set" of iron spits from Montefortino:

[Image: spiedo.JPG]

"Particolare di un "set" di spiedi in ferro esposto al Museo Archeologico di Arcevia"

at: http://www.trigallia.com/montefortino/museo.asp

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Interesting, it looks like you pull out the pin in the handle, the pin slides through a hole in the end of each skewer. Very interesting. Much more sophisticated than I'd imagined!

Thanks for that. :lol:

Quote:As already done in another thread here is a pic of a "set" of iron spits from Montefortino:

[Image: spiedo.JPG]

"Particolare di un "set" di spiedi in ferro esposto al Museo Archeologico di Arcevia"

at: http://www.trigallia.com/montefortino/museo.asp

Vale,
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
Thanks everyone! Volker, I made three copies of that Regensburg skewer this afternoon, and I will get much eating pleasure from them next year... many thanks!

Quote:I got one of an iron skewer from Regensburg, but that is probably for home use, not military. Do you want it? SAy where to mail it if you do.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary