Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposal: Byzantine Forum
I think it would be useful to have a new forum dedicated to the Byzantine Empire.
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

I'm not sure.
I mean, I'm a Late Roman so I would love to discuss Byzantine topics, but I fear that could take us deep into the Middle Ages, right? We already have the Greek forum, why not use that also for the occasional Byzantine questions? I think we discussed this at the time when we set up the Greek forum.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Well, being new here I'm not familiar with previous talks/proposals/suggestions...sorry! Anyways, I'll try to create a board dedicated to the early Byzantine period.

Cheers,
Ioannis
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

Hi Ioannis,
There's nothing wrong with asking, but as Robert said, we'd have to define clearly what Byzantium we'd be talking about. Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Well Jasper that could be : economics, diplomacy, army, books, etc...
Big Grin

If you are discussing the Byzantine empire you cannot focus only on the early period! I think that would be to limited.
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus
Quote:If you are discussing the Byzantine empire you cannot focus only on the early period! I think that would be to limited.
That's what I fear -setting up an entire new section would move us away into the High Middle Ages if we would continue discussing the Byzantine Empire up to 1453. So why not stop at the capture of Constantinople by the Crusade (1204)? Or the defeat at Manzikert (1071)? Or just maybe until the rise of Islam and the Loss of the Middle East (Yarmuk 636), which also changed the face of the Empire.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:I think it would be useful to have a new forum dedicated to the Byzantine Empire.

I support that notion.

We have some really knowledgeable users around and in the long run it would be a shame not to put their sharp minds to this topic. I agree that this will take us at times far from the times of Corialan and Caesar, but in a separate subforum this should pose no problem. Purity will remain in the Roman subforum.

There are a couple of good Byzantine forums around, but RAT has the making of becoming the best, and I do not think that in the long run we can slip that opportunity through our hands.

On the other side, increased variety in terms of topics usually leads to more heterogeneity among the users, to more diverse viewpoints which can generate more easily heated debates. The last thing I would want RAT to become is a place with political debates whether the Turks are naturalized Greeks or on the Cyprus conflict.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Quote:On the other side, increased variety in terms of topics usually leads to more heterogeneity among the users, to more diverse viewpoints which can generate more easily heated debates. The last thing I would want RAT to become is a place with political debates whether the Turks are naturalized Greeks or on the Cyprus conflict.

Impossible on RAT. Modern politics cannot be debated here and repeated offenders would be removed.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans