Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alexander\'s Elite Illustration
The trooper in purple would be an Agrianian commander lead by the Macedonian Attalus. Note his feathered and blue helmet. Also he wears a finely made purple tunic (perhaps a gift from the great one..?). The figure in the plain tunic could be one of Balacrus’ javliners or a Thracian. Note his curved sica sword. The figure in the red tunic would be another Agrianian. He has just thrown his javelin...

Please leave comments..! The good, the bad, and the ugly......

Johnny

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/ ... /Elite.jpg
Johnny Shumate
Johnny what can I say?.... This combination make it one of the TOP Quality!!!...The Best!!!

I'm very impresive with thisone! :o

That make a laudes too easy! :wink:

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Johnny, I trully lke the "beotian" boots that you have provided the troopers with. The middle figure could also be a Greek mercenary peltast.
In this case the shield design could be from any city state you choose.
If he is a Thracian you could add animal pelts on his attire like you did with the slinger if you so wish. If he is Paeonian, a bison (Paeonian bull), could serve as a shield design.
Kind regards.
Great! laus 4U! Big Grin
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Thats excellent! I can but no where near as good as that! Very accurate as well.

edit- *I can draw but no where near as good as that!
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus
[Image: comitatus.jpg]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">www.comitatus.net
I particularly like the subtle "motion blur" in the hand of the peltastai in the foreground.
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Thanks guys..!

When I saved it to Photobucket it wash out on me..! The original Photoshop file is a little richer in color....

My next one will be a Greek cavalryman in Alex's army....

Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Nice work, Johnny. One small point: - those aren't heels on the boots, are they? We had a discussion about boots previously and it seems they weren't heeled in this period.

You never did tell me where you got your shield.
Quote:When I saved it to Photobucket it wash out on me..! The original Photoshop file is a little richer in color....

Johnny, could it be your colour profile in Photoshop? When it gets saved as a jpeg it's going to a different profile, or something like that?

Great pic, thanks!
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:I particularly like the subtle "motion blur" in the hand of the peltastai in the foreground.
Yes indeed - I noticed that one too - it gives the picture even more realistic qualities.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks again for the comments..!

Paul,
Those boots shouldn't have heels, maybe it just looks that way....
Also, I made that shield several years ago, lots of work..!

Jim,
I've never had problems before converting files to jpeg. Just when I copy them to Photobucket....

I think the hand blur adds a nice touch also...!

Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Fantastic!

When we were boys we made our mini spears throw much further by wrapping twine around them in the way you have portrayed in the picture.

In England they were called 'Dutch arrows' or 'Swiss arrows'.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul Mortimer
Unfortunately, the crescent pelta was not in use any more in Alexander's time. The shields of these men should be either small round wicker shields or aspides. Additionally, I don't think there's any knowledge of using slings to launch javelins. For everything else, though, this is a very nice illustration.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Ruben,
Yes, the crescent pelta is debatable. I can't imagine light troops using a heavy aspides shield..!

Thongs/slings were used even up until Roman times. I know Livy writes about javelin thongs during the Macedonian wars (ca. 200 BC).

Thanks for the interest..!

Johnny
Johnny Shumate
The javelin sling is well known from literary sources.
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alexander the Great Illustration Johnny Shumate 39 9,068 10-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Last Post: Jason Hoffman