Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Short Film: Need Romans!
I want a different ending too!

Quote:Now I was hoping for a different ending. The legionaries that have the courage to follow go through, the other stand back and watch as the last of them walk through.
And then a text: "thus vanished the 9th legion"!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Filmschooldude--

Well, if you're looking for Romans in LA, we're the "go to guys." Our website is here:

http://www.legionsix.org

Your budget in making Roman armor and equipment would be better spent hiring us, and you get all the expertise to go along with it. Do you have any idea when you'd like to start shooting?

Interesting script idea, particularly since I'm down with the whole "time warp" thing involving Romans. I once wrote a novel ("Caesar's Lieutenant") about a squad of U.S. infantrymen fighting in Italy in WWII getting time-warped back to the Late Roman Empire. One of my favorite novels is David Drake's "Ranks of Bronze," where a Roman legion ca. 53 BC is hired on by an alien race and used to conquer worlds with iron-age technology (some sort of interstellar code prevents them from using modern weapons against ancient cultures).

I can't say I like the idea of Roman soldiers treacherously killing the time traveler, or getting repeatedly "enraged" by punk teenagers and little kids and wantonly killing them-- part of me wants to believe that the Roman sense of honor and professionalism would not allow such things.

I have my own idea about a short film with a "Romans vs. aliens" concept, and would like to talk it over with you. My email is palladiumAT"NOSPAM"aol.com.

mail-adres altered so you won't get flooded by junkmail. (pelgr003)
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
Quote:Your budget in making Roman armor and equipment would be better spent hiring us
If you do say so yourself, eh Dave? :lol: :wink: But he's right that expertise in the bargain is a good thing- it'd be no good to just outfit a bunch of guys and expect them to have any chance of behaving like Roman soldiers- far better to get people who have their own kit and know what they're doing.

Quote:I can't say I like the idea of Roman soldiers treacherously killing the time traveler, or getting repeatedly "enraged" by punk teenagers and little kids and wantonly killing them-- part of me wants to believe that the Roman sense of honor and professionalism would not allow such things.
Not according to Mel Gibson :lol: That was my big problem with The Passion- the Romans were so barbaric! I agree that it doesn't make as much sense for a professional army not to have rather more discipline. And I had the same reservation about the killing of Raynor- he offered the tech to the Romans, so why kill him? Maybe if he said he'd give it to the Empire and that particular commander with ambitions of his own wanted it for himself or something. True too that the punk teenagers attack seems a bit unlikely- I mean a bunch of heavily armed and armored Roman soldiers would inspire more confusion and awe than something to attack. And after they take out the cops, why would a little kid still throw a rock? I'd think that everyone would beat feet and get the hell out of Dodge as opposed to staying around...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Well guys, it's not like there is no evidence for Roman soldiers behaving barbarically. There are reports in Tacitus and Dio - yes, both elitist farts who look down their noses at soldiers, but still - but also Apuleius' Golden Ass - fiction, but surely based on real life - and complaints from local communities handed down in papyri and inscriptions.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:1. The Chinese military lab is located in Europe. Remember in the beginning the Chinese invade Europe so its like in WW2 when the invading Soviet and American forces stole German rocket technology to develop the ICBM or such things.

Ah, okay- maybe best not to pick on details before reading the actual script, eh? Big Grin

Quote:2. Yeah about that...its just a movie. If it worked for Spielberg, the greatest film director alive today, then Im sure its good enough to work for me. Even though in War of The Worlds these were aliens, still. Its a short film so I dont have time to get very sci-fi here when it comes to explaining everything. My script is already too long as it is. Usually short films are no more than 10 pages (i.e. 10 minutes). The general public cares more about character development than they care about sci-fi explanations, so I need to save time for the former instead. To be honest this bio-death ending is the only major change I have made to my script. Originally the Romans did not die. They just marched off into the sunset after killing the cops. This angered all the people that read my script. They said it was a good and original story but the ending sucked.

Yikes- dude that very first sentence is the problem with Hollywood- it's FULL of writers who just don't know enough or care to get things right. And it doesn't work for Spielberg or anyone else; the unwashed masses who don't know any better, are content, sure, but for anyone a touch more sophisticated- and audiences have and continue to be more and more so, especially when it comes to sci-fi- it's a mistake to just settle. Why not break the cycle of crap and do it right? THAT would make you stand out :lol: And those who were angered (?) by the Romans marching off are nuts- them being defeated despite the invulerable technology is the same old thing that is done again and again- it's old and tiresome. A small group realizing they could create an entirely new Empire is much better- I'd think it better still if Raynor seemed to think it was great that the Romans were freeing everyone from the Chinese, but then the new Empire is not what he expected...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:Well guys, it's not like there is no evidence for Roman soldiers behaving barbarically. There are reports in Tacitus and Dio - yes, both elitist farts who look down their noses at soldiers, but still - but also Apuleius' Golden Ass - fiction, but surely based on real life - and complaints from local communities handed down in papyri and inscriptions.

Yeah, but Mel went WAY overboard- that's what I meant, not that legionaries couldn't be as mean and nasty as, well, everyone else in history has been at one time or another :lol: The discipline was nonexistent- which made no sense considering I'd expect discipline in the legions was rather strict...
Eduardo

The number you left me iwhen you called is incorrect.

I sent a response to your email
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hollywood Romans -- New Feature Film about... AMELIANVS 46 8,607 08-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Hollywood Romans - New Feature Film About Pilate Narukami 16 3,911 01-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Last Post: Alexand96
  Hollywood Romans -- New Feature Film on Pompeii Narukami 20 3,470 11-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Appeaceboophy