Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auxiliary Helmets in the Trajan period...
Salve!
What would the average Auxiliary infantryman have had by way head protection in the late 1st/early 2nd century? We were thinking in terms of Deepeeka's Auxiliary 'B', or Gallic 'A'....
Also, i would like to know the general take on the notion of Auxiliary units recieving the 'Hand-me-downs' of the Legions as newer designs came into use.
Look forward to hearing from you..
Adrian
Hi Adrian,
I'm moving this to Military History and Archaeology as it fits better there.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Personally, I am not convinced that evidence exists for hand me downs from the legionaries.

As regards different helmets, Tacitus wrote "weapons were hastily grabbed.Tradition and discipline went by the board. The troops disregarded the distinctions of equipment between Praetorians and Legionaries and seized helmets and shields meant for Auxiliaries".

The problem is- which helmets were meant for legionaries, and which for auxilaries?

There is evidence for auxilaries customising legionary helmets (eg the Batavian former Imperial-Gallic helmet which was shorn of neck guard and cheek guards, and was adorned with a marten skin and feathers- see also the fur covered auxilary helmets on Trajan's column.

But generally, the general idea of auxillary=bronze coolus/ auxillary B, and legionaries = Imperial Gallic or Italic has very little evidence AFAIK.

Other than possibly the very ornate helmets such as the Italic D, I would therefore feel fairly free re choices!

And as a great read on the subject, I'd recommend Graham Sumner's article http://www.esg.ndirect.co.uk/Gentlemen.htm

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auxiliary shield on Trajan\'s column Titvs Statilivs Castvs 10 2,751 08-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Trajan\'s Column - interesting Auxiliary - Batavian? Paullus Scipio 42 10,733 02-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Robert