Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Koln Spatha
has anyone by any chance got a photo of teh original they can share please ?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Quote:has anyone by any chance got a photo of the original they can share please ?
Sorry, besides a line drawing, this does not exist. At least none exists that know of. The Köln spatha was lost, I think during WWII.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Sorry, besides a line drawing, this does not exist. At least none exists that know of. The Köln spatha was lost, I think during WWII.

And all because of a stupid Bohemian corporal! :evil:
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:has anyone by any chance got a photo of teh original they can share please ?

There is a photo of it (and the chape, crosbow brooch, and belt buckle) in the sumptuous Alterthümer unser heidnischen Vorzeit (Mainz) Band 4 Taf. 57 by Ludwig Lindenschmit. I only have a crummy photocopy of the page so it is not worth scanning. On the plus side, the image is well out of copyright! I have a vague recollection that it is one of the pages where they experimented with metallic inks (in this case silver), but my memory could be failing me.

If you cannot get hold of the book, the RGZM may still hold the original plate, but I would not bet money on it.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
I would accept a drawing Big Grin ???
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Köln pugio info M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER 2 1,258 02-09-2013, 05:09 AM
Last Post: 66kbm