Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military Illustrated Article
A new article by Ross Cowan is in this months issue of Military Illustrated magazine November 2006 Number 222.

'Saved by the Gods
Roman Warfare: Lightning Bolts in Battle'

with an illustration of an early 4th century AD Roman centurion by yours truly.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Where do I get this magazine? Big Grin
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Ooh goody Big Grin
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Where do I get this magazine?

Fax 0870 870 0385 for details

or write to

Military Illustrated
7 John Street
London WC1N 2ES

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:with an illustration of an early 4th century AD Roman centurion by yours truly.
Yep, luvely picture (I got a sneak preview), but I'm still puzzled by the crista transversa on an Intercisa type helmet.. :?

That centurion is not a happy man. :roll:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
A crista transversa on an Intercisa type helmet? Confusedhock:
I hope it isn't an Intercisa IV... Tongue

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Hi Aitor and Robert

For dramatic effect I went for the Vegetius Transverse crest. There is no physical archaeological evidence for them in earlier times either but everyone shows them.

However amongst the fragments of late helmets from Richborough there is a crest holder very like the early type but apparently from the context of the later helmets. If it did belong to a later helmet it made more sense to me that it was from a transverse crest and that's how I interpreted it in the painting.

Graham.

Hi Caius here, Would it be possible for one of you fine gentlemen to post the pic of this Centurion. This maginzine is not always avalible at my local magzine store Cheers Thomas R/Caius Valens
He who desires peace ,let him prepare for war. He who wants victory, let him train soldiers diligently. No one dares challenge or harm one who he realises will win if he fights. Vegetius, Epitome 3, 1st Century Legionary Thomas Razem
Quote:For dramatic effect I went for the Vegetius Transverse crest. There is no physical archaeological evidence for them in earlier times either but everyone shows them.

However amongst the fragments of late helmets from Richborough there is a crest holder very like the early type but apparently from the context of the later helmets. If it did belong to a later helmet it made more sense to me that it was from a transverse crest and that's how I interpreted it in the painting.

There is in fact an example of this later helmet - on a funeral stone from northern Austria. The soldier has his spatha on the right side and his hasta in the left, also an odd detail. The original is in the museum in Linz, but the color image is from a copy the museum in Tulln.

Here is another image of the original:
[Image: D0582_G3.jpg]

Graham, you sent me the image of the Bramdean mosaic - it could be another example.

Quote:Hi Caius here, Would it be possible for one of you fine gentlemen to post the pic of this Centurion. This maginzine is not always avalible at my local magzine store Cheers Thomas R/Caius Valens

Graham, will you allow me to post a smallish picture with low resolution of your drawing?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Graham, will you allow me to post a smallish picture with low resolution of your drawing?

Go on then as long as it is small. I am thinking of making a series of prints available of some of my work. It would be good to have an idea of how many people might be interested in this one for instance?

Graham.

Quote:
Quote:Graham, will you allow me to post a smallish picture with low resolution of your drawing?
Go on then as long as it is small. I am thinking of making a series of prints available of some of my work. It would be good to have an idea of how many people might be interested in this one for instance?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hi Caius here, thanks Graham and Robert, A great pic perhaps you should make a book about just the late Roman Legions and Auxillaries. I would certainley buy one Cheers Thomas R /Caius Valens
He who desires peace ,let him prepare for war. He who wants victory, let him train soldiers diligently. No one dares challenge or harm one who he realises will win if he fights. Vegetius, Epitome 3, 1st Century Legionary Thomas Razem

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Military eguipment from Gardun-Croatia-article-link Arahne 1 1,133 11-26-2007, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Tarbicus
  Military Illustrated Magazine Derfel 15 3,884 11-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Ross Cowan
  Military illustrated derek forrest 5 1,744 08-03-2006, 04:58 PM
Last Post: Alexandr K