Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pommel or toggle
Paulinus/Paul asked me to upload this picture for him. So here goes!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
What kind of material is that made from?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Looks like bone.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
It looks too small for being a pommel, doesn't it? :?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Too small for a dagger ?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
The tang diameter would be huge for a dagger... 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:The tang diameter would be huge for a dagger... 8)

Aitor

Maybe the hole is the natural hole in the bone?

I have read that some bone grips have been found with natural material inserted into the cavity to make up for the extra space.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Yup, you're right Paul! Big Grin It could be the natural cavity. 2 cm of outer diameter can be too much thickness for a bone wall... Not so much if the material would be antler...

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Many thanks for the comments. Big Grin The object is bone and what can't be seen is a series of internal cuts within the hole. Presumably to open up the space for inserting something else? It's interesting to hear speculation about antler....several pieces of sawn antler have also come from the ditch. Boars tusks as well....

The ditch contains demolition material from a high status building as well as domestic refuse, including a lot of cattle / sheep bones. Coins from the ditch are, so far, barbarous radiates of Victorinus and Tetricus I & II.

What's curious about the demoltion is that the building was pretty much erased and then what was left was sealed under half a metre of clay loam. Slate roof tiles, which would have been worth recycling, are just dumped along with everything else into the ditch.
I wonder if its just a bead from a decoration, childs toy, or something totally mundane.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.