Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cohortal reform
Yes i know, the argument is tough; for this i want to make a poll. What is the decisive argument for your choice?
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

a.k.a Davide Dall\'Angelo

SISMA- Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi
Define 'cohortal reform'. Do you mean the first time the army is organised in cohorts?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Define 'cohortal reform'. Do you mean the first time the army is organised in cohorts?

Yes the legion (leave apart the alae sociorum) from manipulars to cohorts organization
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

That's still rather vague. :? ?
[Image: RAT_signature2.png]
Quote:That's still rather vague. :? ?

This is only one of theories Luciano (evidently your vote is for "Marius"). I have demanded what theory is preferred by each.

Quote:
Ter. Catalonius Luciano:wvwx7jzt Wrote:That's still rather vague. :? ?

This is only one of theories Luciano (evidently your vote is for "Marius"). I have demanded what theory is preferred by each.
I only chose "Marius" because it was "middle of the road". I still don't quite understand your question. Are you asking when the so-called "Marian Refroms" actually occured or when cohorts came into existance?
I prefer the term cohortal reform (marian reforms implicitly make enter the cohortal legion in other Marius, historically sure, reforms) , but is when the legion begins to be organized in cohorts.

Quote:I prefer the term cohortal reform (marian reforms implicitly make enter the cohortal legion in other Marius, historically sure, reforms) , but is when the legion begins to be organized in cohorts.
Hence why I said so-called Marian Reforms. Now I understand what you mean more fully, and now that I do, I realize I should not have voted "Marius". Rather, had I more clearly understood, I would have voted pre-Marius. :lol:
Quote:Hence why I said so-called Marian Reforms.

Is only my explication why I used cohortal reform, not a critique.

Why pre-marius?

Any chance of adding a category of "I don't think it was a reform but rather a gradual evolution during the second half of the 2nd century BC and the early years of the 1st century BC?"
:wink:
Kate, i used "reform" only for explication, also the gradual or rapid evolution enter in the vote: the gradual evolution enter in pre-marius Big Grin . If on want to make specifications leave a post.

It's ok, I was only being pedantic!!!

ps - Inter or AC? Whichever, it was a cracking game!
Milan , semper fidelis

Generally, it seems that when someone is accredited with some revolutionary reform, the reform itself had already occured or was already in the works; that particular character is rather the one who brought the reform to a historical light. It merely seems likely that Marius was the most prominent of those who pushed, encouraged, and/or implemented the reforms.