Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Later Roman Military Standard?
I recall seeing this item on the boards here some time ago, however can't recall if it was ever discussed unless in passing.....

Besides the Draco Standard, does anyone have any knowledge of the later Roman Military Standard? I recently looked through my Christies Guttmann collection book again and came across this item. It is listed as a Roman Triangular Standard. I have no idea where they get this from, however considering the provenance, Guttman must have had some reason for listing it as such.

Book description as follows:
A Roman Sheet Bronze Triangular Standard
(First half of Third Century)

Decorated in repousse with four registers depicting Jupiter Dolichenus and Juno Regina in the Center standing atop a bull and goat respectively, above busts of Sol and Luna, the lower register with the Dioscuri, Castor and Pollux, each holding a horse, flaming altars between them, and eagle at the apex with wreath in his beak. (40cm High x 19cm wide)

[Image: Roman_standard_triangular-S.jpg]

I believe before people stated that it was a Mainz Gladius Scabbard plate, however the physical dimensions do not match that. It would not be 19cm wide!!

Could this have been part of a Roman Standard, and if not, what the heck was it for? The Military symbols on it do link it to the Roman Army......

I have a higher resolution image HERE
(all be it a bit blurry to)
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Quote:Besides the Draco Standard, does anyone have any knowledge of the later Roman Military Standard?

Aquila and vexillum.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
This is our late roman military vexillum:
[Image: faventianus.jpg]
Carme
[url:utwukq64]http://www.primagermanica.com[/url]
[Image: vexilium.jpg]
In Egeta (Djerdap gorge - Danube ) in Jupiter Dolichenus sanctuary similar plaque and holder were found. On the holder inscripiton mentions centurio of the I cretan cohors. I dont believe that similar objects (i know few from germany and hungary) were used as regular military standards.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Oh, very interesting, thank you Arahne! I'd like to know more...

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Arahne!

Great info. Do you have a more detailed image of the plaque? And the Actual inscription, either in text or image?

Is there any publication on this? I had great difficulty finding any.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs

Roman Artifacts
Found this Museum link in which a complete example is shown indicating that it was a "Standard" for the military, but for cerimonial purposes for worshiping the Cult Mithrias. A possible answer as there appears to be a few examples around that are very similar.

Could these elaborate pieces have been used only for religious purposes, especially when they were associated so closely with a soldier, who knows.

They may have been something that was carried into battle as part of a standard.

Other more common/known military standards were carried into battle depicting cult icons etc. Either of the emperor or others. Carrying one with representation of Mithrias would not also be unusual.

MUSEUM EXAMPLE
Markus Aurelius Montanvs

Roman Artifacts