Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who makes a functional 4th-5th century Spatha blade?
Hello,
I am looking for a 4th-5th century Spatha Blade (Not the handle assembly) And I would like to know what everyone's experience with such blades are? Where might I get a functional and accurate spatha blade?

Eric
Eric

Brush-Popper extraordinaire
Hi Eric!

Mark Morrow of swordsmith.net makes excellent swordblades. I think he can make a spatha blade too, perhaps with a diamond cross section and a tapering point? I have heard very good comments about his swordblades, they are very strong and beautifully finished.

I have a spear tip made by him and it is wickedly sharp! I would have also ordered a spatha blade from him but the postage costs and the customs to Finland are quite irritating...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Mike's stuff looks top-of-the line and his prices are about what I'd expect to pay for hand forged stuff. For younger (read: poorer) guys like Poftim and myself, though, I'd be interested in finding a supplier of slightly cheaper mass-produced blades, as long as they were still good quality and solidly constructed (no wimpy, brittle tangs).

I happen to be in the market for a spatha blade as well. In fact I was logging on to post almost a verbatim thread when I spotted Poftim's.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st, 2nd or 3rd Century Roman Spatha Development Pointer 0 853 02-05-2018, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  Width of a spatha blade Damianus Albus 12 4,627 03-28-2016, 05:26 PM
Last Post: XorX
  Illerup-Adal spatha blade XorX 1 1,981 03-11-2016, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Damianus Albus