Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Erik Hildinger, Swords Against the Senate (2003)
I was in my local Barnes & Noble (despite being an employee for Borders :roll: ) and saw a book called Swords Against the Senate by a fellow named Erik Hildinger. I only had a moment, so I briefly leafed through it and though it's not quite a detailed description of the Republican Army, it reads like a (interesting!) researched paper in that it follows the way the evolution of the Army from its Ye Olde Republican roots through the Marian Reforms, the Civil Wars, and eventually its use as a tool for the Emperors. Has anyone else seen this book? More importantly, has anyone else read it? Just looking for some reviews in case it's terrible, in which case I will not purchase it.

Here's a link to Amazon with the book:

[amazon]Swords-Against-Senate-Roman-Republic/dp/0306812797[/amazon]
[Image: RAT_signature2.png]
Well, since no one seems to have read it, I started reading it every moment I have between classes. It's actually quite well written and details much of concerning the specifics of the legion (behavior, at least), but really, it's all about C. Marius more than any else. Actually, a good subtitle would have been "The Road to Caesar" or "From Carthage to Caesar".
Hi Saul,
Well, if it's any good, I'll start reading it too. I've had it in the bookcase for a year or so now...(but that goes for many books)
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
What makes it decent is the fact the fellow knows how to write whilst reporting infortmation rather than simply spreading information about like some form of thick, spoiled butter. Um, more simply, it's a rather user-friendly read.
That looks good, I might have to add it to my collection Big Grin
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus
[Image: comitatus.jpg]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">www.comitatus.net

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Swords against the Senate Anonymous 0 745 11-13-2002, 02:49 AM
Last Post: Anonymous