Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leather Lorica Segmentata
Quote:How effective was a hoplite armour BTW against piercing, IIRC that was compressed linen (please correct me if i'm wrong).

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=2630
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:wooden armour??? there's a thought.... : a wooden segmentata!

Biodegradable armour, the roman are true ecologists Big Grin
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

a.k.a Davide Dall\'Angelo

SISMA- Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi
Quote:pelgr003 wrote:
wooden armour??? there's a thought.... : a wooden segmentata!

Well, they had cloaks made from bark as documented in the Vindolanda writing tablets!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Yes- the bark cloaks always suprised me, although they were made and worn by native americans and in Papua New Guinea in living memory.
Pic below from 1914 showing a woven cedar bark cloak.
[Image: fig10nwi.jpg]
Looks hard wearing and waterproof!
Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
And mosshair crests :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
"And mosshair crests"- absolutely!
Late last night, I finally tracked down a picture of the mosshair crest found at Newstead by Curle- virtually identical to the Vindolanda one. Smile

Curle thought it might be an unfinished basket, but unless basketry was a favourite leisure activity of Roman soldiers (culminating in "Oh, I can't be bothered to finish this one...I'm off to guard duty") I don't find this likely.

A helmet attachment seems more probable (more in an article later- a joint Peronis/ Caballo production).

Cheers

Caballo
PS Does anyone know what units were stationed at Newstead- it would really help the research?
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
"Bark cloth" has been in use by many cultures since before the Bronze Age. Initially it was used to make clothing but later it was used to make armour. Some scholars incorrectly call it "paper" armour. I can't recall the Chinese term but in Korea it was called jigap. Not only was it waterproof but it apparently provided good protection from the cold. Fig and Mulberry were common barks used. I read one paper which claimed that Adam and Eve were initially described wearing "fig bark" clothing but it was later misinterpreted as "fig leaves"
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About the three types of armor Lorica Segmentata? Leoshenlong 2 635 04-21-2021, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  New find of lorica segmentata mcbishop 18 3,255 11-21-2020, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  why lorica segmentata uses very thin hinges? Leoshenlong 3 683 10-27-2020, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Leoshenlong