Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New vendor?
http://www.templ.net/english/

Anybody come across this website before? Mostly later roman pieces and beyond. Would be interested to hear folks' critique of items. Regardless of authenticity, his pieces are gorgeous! Lightyears beyond anything else I've seen...but with a pricetag to match.

Will post this in Marketplace as well.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
Quote:Will post this in Marketplace as well.
once is enough, we don't need two identical threads... Smile
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Yeah, thought better of it afterwards. Will delete 2nd thread.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
I've always thought Patricks stuff is beautiful. Look at the work put into replicating the ring pommel sword.
Quote:I've always thought Patricks stuff is beautiful. Look at the work put into replicating the ring pommel sword.

Ha! "Ring pommel spatha" is exactly what I was googling when I came across his site.

So this guy is well known...has been around for a while?

I wonder if there's really a market for swords at the pricepoints he offers them? (apart from museums, obviously) I guess so or he wouldn't still be in business.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Quote:So this guy is well known...has been around for a while?

Oh yes! Big Grin
I have been drooling over his swords too for some time :wink: ! He includes also scabbards with his roman swords so the price is not too bad...

BTW, you can read reviews of couple of his swords from here:
http://www.myarmoury.com/reviews.html
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:He includes also scabbards with his roman swords so the price is not too bad...

That does take *some* of the sting out of the price, but you're still looking at over 3500 USD for a sword! I'm not arguing it isn't worth every penny...just that very few folks have that money to spend.

He pegs the provenance of the ring hilt at roughly 3rd cent. Are there any later examples? And in what region were these most prominent?
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Patrick's swords are not all expensive -- he will make you whatever you ask him to and if you look at his site you will see that some of his swords are actaully quite cheap.

I have a sword from Patrick -- he delivered when he said he would, consulted me on all aspects of the design -- and his workmanship is superb.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul Mortimer