Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When did the Skutatoi come around?
In Komnenian period written sources, the Byzantine heavy infantryman is called the kontophoros or lonchephoros (i.e. spear-bearer).

The Byzantine-Greek use of the word skouta should be viewed in the same light as the Spanish/Portuguese use of the word escudo, as a generalised word meaning 'shield'.
The Byzantine armed forces retained many archaisms of nomenclature. The Byzantine skoutatoi used round - dished - shields or, after c. 900, kite-shields they did not employ the Roman scutum. Also Byzantine peltasts were not necessarily primarily skirmishers, the true Byzantine skirmish light infantry (archers, javelineers, slingers) were called psiloi.

I think that the use of the word klivanion, like cataphractos, was nuanced. Just like 'harness' in English can mean armour - a knight in complete harness - or any construct involving straps and buckles - such as horse harness. The Greek words could be used in various ways, klivanion could be used as a general term for armour, but was also used as a specific term for a cuirass of lamellar - there were specific terms for scale and mail armour also. After all contemporary English writers, some of whom were eyewitnesses, spoke of the Napoleonic French cuirassiers wearing "mail" - when describing plate armour. See: Dawson, Timothy: Kresmasmata, Kabbadion, Klibanion: Some Aspects of Middle Byzantine Military Equipment Reconsidered, Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies, 22 (1998), pp. 38–50.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!

Messages In This Thread
When did the Skutatoi come around? - by Poftim - 10-26-2006, 12:23 AM
When did the Skutatoi come around? - by Dalikas - 07-14-2015, 01:18 AM
When did the Skutatoi come around? - by Urselius - 07-14-2015, 07:12 AM