Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legio III Cyrenaica (New England)
Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone here is a member of Legio III Cyrenaica, based in sotuhern New England? I am considering entering as a Calo and would love to talk to any members.....

thanks,
Andrew
Andrew James Beaton
Looking for ancient coins of Gallienus, Postumus, Victorinus, Tetricus I and II, and the Severan Era!
Salve, Andrew,

I and "Dudicus" aka Andy Volpe, are members of Legio III Cyrenaica in New England. I'm the Optio. We have a few younger members, who with the permission (and indeed active help for some) from their parents, are a welcome addition to our impression. We welcome entire families participating, because we welcome civilian as well as military impressions in our organization.

A few of us, including myself and Andy will be at the Higgins Armory Museum in Worcester, MA this Saturday for their "Knightmare" at the Higgins. We will be in our Roman kit, of course.

Quinton Johansen/Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Ahh, hello then. I would like to ask some questions to you as I might soon be a Calo.

1) How often do you meet? What do you do at these meetings?

2) How many members are there?

3) What will the specific job of a Calo be in your group? Helping with armor, etc.?

4) Do we get to pick a cool Roman name? lol

Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew James Beaton
Looking for ancient coins of Gallienus, Postumus, Victorinus, Tetricus I and II, and the Severan Era!
Heya Andrew!

As Optio said, we're always happy with new members, even when you get to drag your family into it! Muahahaa.

Answers:

1. Meetings? We have meetings? We currently don't hold "official" meetings like other groups, instead we try to keep on tab through email, a yahoo chatboard, and whenever we have Events/encampments. We're currently considering renting out a rec space for a big group meeting once a year, still figuring out options (One may be at Higgins Armory)

The big problem is we have members all over New England, so getting everyone together is difficult and we aren't about to pressure our members to drive long distances with a pugio at thier throats.

2. members...Currently I think at last count, we have over 30 members. According to our Tessesarius, Clodius Secundus, We have about 25 soldiers, and the rest are civilian and merchant members. Tack on any of the family kids who'll come to hang out and whatnot, another 2-3 "junior" members, and 2-3 Honorary members

(3 soldiers are currently on real soldier duty over in the "sand box")

3. Calo - helping with armor...cleaning armor...Sure...Um...We'll try to find you stuff to do. Big Grin Lots of drilling, digging and drilling...How does that sound? Heheh.

You're into ancient coinage, so you could bring your coin collection and talk to the public (and us) about it, if anything talk with other collectors/vendors and such to get more research and information.

4. Roman names...Yep! You have 2 options, "create" your own name, using Leg. XX's website ( www.larp.com/legioxx/nomina.html ) OR you can [ask me] for a copy of a list of an actual Duty Roster of Leg. III Cyr, so you can choose (or modify) a name off of that list if you like. (Clodius Secundus is such a name off that list) You can find this list in Adrian Goldsworthy's "The Complete Roman Army", which by the way is a great reference to have.

Also try to get in contact with out Centurio, the email should be on our website
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Is it "Feldtrp419@*NOSPAM*yahoo.com" or something like that? If so, I've been in contact for a LOOOONG time, but it seems he takes forever (weeks sometimes) to respond to e-mails :lol: I don't know where to start exactly for the Calo kit...

Andrew
Andrew James Beaton
Feldtrp419 AT aol DOT com

He's currently on his way back from visiting family in MO. His computer recently exploded, and he's gotten a new one but he's still working on getting it up to speed....He's a busy guy.

Your first step in "kit" for a Calo is to get clothing: sandals (don't nessesarily need hobnailed caligae yet, you're not representing a soldier, and you can always add hobnails later) and you Tunic.

Patterns and info are found in Graham Sumner's "Roman Military Clothing I 100BC-AD200" Osprey Men-At-Arms #374

Also check Matt Amt's Leg XX site under Tunics, as well as Caligae for patterns, but also check out the Civilian clothing section for Calceaus type shoes, as well as other clothing.

for materials and supplies, again check Leg XX site. You can also check LaWren's Nest, one of our merchant-members about getting supplies/fabrics. (link on our page as well)

check also our bylaws on our website, ( www.legioiiicyrenaica.org/bylaws )

You'll want a wool and/or a linen tunic. Get an off-white tunic made first.
a belt for the tunic itself can be a strip of linen or wool or a leather string. you're "balteus" can start as a plain leather belt with a metal buckle, you don't need the "danglium" straps. (no, don't get a belt at the clothing store :wink: )

When you have that stuff made, consider making "cold weather" gear, cloak, thicker [wool] tunic, or a long-sleeved tunic, braccae pants, udone socks. Make spare clothing, extra tunics, et cetera.

You can also think about making/getting personal effects, things like a drinking cup (a wooden cup, or a samian-ware pottery cup from our other merchant-member, Venetian Cat Pottery), a spoon, wooden or pottery bowl/dish, a sponge-on-a-stick, strigil, a wax writing tablet...stuff like that.

hope this helps.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Quote:sponge-on-a-stick

Uh-oh, I'm not going to need to USE it, will I :lol:

Sounds like a lot of work making those tunics and things. And it will probably be hard for someone with no craftmanship or artistic skills at all (me)! 8)

Andrew
Andrew James Beaton
You certainly don't need to start out with anything elaborate. A basic tunic can be made from two pieces of fabric (wool or linen) sewn together at the sides and along the top - of course, leaving openings for the head and arms. It is all straight lines, machine stitching along the side and top seams, then hand sew the hems - using a simple running stitch.
Do you have any family members - mother or sister or aunt - who can sew?
Now is a very good time to find wool in the fabric stores, just make sure it is 100% wool. And make it plenty big, especially as you will have some growing to do yet. Baggy tunics are probably more accurate for Romans than some of the more form fitting ones some of us wear. (Some form fitting happens over time as the tunics are washed and shrink just a bit each time). And that said - WASH the wool before anyone takes a pair of scissors to it! Even better, throw it in the dryer, too. Then and only then, cut it. Same goes for linen. White or off-white in color is best as Andy recommended above.

Historically, a calo (calones=more than one) would be a camp servant. Some were free men, some were freedmen (freed slaves), and some were slaves. They were trained to use weapons, as one of their functions was baggage train guard when the legion was fighting. It is probable that a calo or two or more handled the baggage mules in the century and managed the century's wagon.

By the way, I have a few Roman coins - including one of Elagabalus (one of the Severan emperors) with military standards on its reverse; it is in very good condition.

Legio XX's website is one of the very best for information, all free to use. Please don't be put off, we all start out pretty basic. Our legion's, Legio III Cyrenaica, members have loaner gear including loaner tunics. I own several and obviously cannot wear them all at once - it hasn' gotten so cold that I wanted to attempt that :wink: .

Quinton Johansen
Quinton Johansen