Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Legionary Rings
I have read of Roman legionary rings, which soldiers would wear. I have tried researching and poking around on this subject, but haven't really found much of a definitive answer. Did the Romans have a type of bronze that was worn by legionaries? If so, what was its design? I have seen many suggestions, here are some:

-The rays of Sol because of his connection to legionaries.

-An eagle because it is the symbol of Rome and shows strength (just sorta guessing on that one's description :lol: )

There are countless others, but those are the main ones I see. I personally own a ring which some collectors have said could be a legionary ring. It is fairly thin, bronze, and has patterns of X's all over. One collector even went on to suggest that maybe it was from Caesar's 10th Legion?? Link to picture: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/galler ... =591&pos=3 (I would post just the pic but I am not at my home computer).

I would like any info into this subject of legionary rings.

Thanks,
Andrew

P.S. If it is known of any rings fond of other things, like sailors or something, I would also love info on that.
Andrew James Beaton
Looking for ancient coins of Gallienus, Postumus, Victorinus, Tetricus I and II, and the Severan Era!
Perhaps this example helps you:
[Image: leg_xxii_pg_ring_rgzm.JPG]
It is in the Römisch-Germanisches Zentralmuseum in Mainz, and may be a copy of an original in a private collection.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Does anyone know if anyone is recreating these?
[Image: RAT_signature2.png]
Hi,Saul,
Nice meeting you at Castra. Replik-online.de has some nice repros.
(I hope it's ok to say.If not,sorry.)
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
i too am interested in replica rings, an original ofcourse my preference!
i'll check that out, thanks andy
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
Quote:Hi,Saul,
Nice meeting you at Castra. Replik-online.de has some nice repros.
(I hope it's ok to say.If not,sorry.)
And it was equally good meeting you. Always interested in meeting more Romans. Thanks for the site!
I've got the Mars ring, and very nice it is too:
[url:141uctvh]http://www.replik-online.de/en/shop/sites/artikel.php?kat=118&name=legionary+rings[/url]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
With the legionary rings that contain the legion numbers, do they engrave any legion number?
mars ring? you got a picture of that ole boy? thanks
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
Avete omnes,

EBay is full with so-called legionary or Roman rings that are declared to be genuine. You only need to search with: "roman ring" or "legion* ring".

I can't say anything about their genuinity but at least You have a wide range of symbols, styles and motifs.

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Quote:mars ring? you got a picture of that ole boy? thanks
It's on the link I posted.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I have made one Mars ring for my optio, Herr Tibisius:

[Image: IMG_9368.jpg]

Mars is the roman god of war, oftenly represented in military things like swords, shield bosses, etc.
Mars is more than just the god of war I thought, he's the actual father of Rome itself (Romulus and Remus). If you're a Roman, you're a Martian :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Was called Mars Pater, Mars The father.

8)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chemical Analysis on Roman Maile Rings Jozef W 4 1,476 08-09-2022, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Pop Alexandra
  Legionary rings TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS 5 1,370 06-15-2002, 05:51 PM
Last Post: