Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Threading a Lorica Squamata
Hello,

Does anyone have pictures or information on how a Lorica Squamata was threaded together in the later Roman Empire (4th Century)? It's really hard to tell from the originals :oops:
Eric

Brush-Popper extraordinaire
Quote:threaded together
I'm not sure what you mean? The lacing to the background or the attachment of each scale to the next?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Poftim, are you talking about lamellar (plates laced or wired to each other with no backing) or scale armor (fish-scale looking pieces wired in rows and then sewn to a backing). For either, best bet for starting out is the Leg XX site.

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/squamata.html

Also (if you haven't already) do yourself a favor and go ahead and invest in the Osprey books for our period. They're only about 10 bucks a pop on Amazon and they're absolutely invaluable, with TONS of color illustrations. A couple of the titles are even written by guys on this forum (specifically Roman Military Clothing 1-3 by Graham Sumner) so you have the advantage of actually being able to pose questions to the author! How many times have you wanted to do that with other books?

Some logical first picks would be Late Roman Cavalryman, Late Roman Infantryman, Roman Military Clothing 2, Roman Military Clothing 3, Romano-Byzantine Armies 4th-9th Centuries, Roman Army from Hadrian to Constantine, Arthur and the Anglo-Saxon Wars.

By the way, if all of this is old news to you then I do sincerely apologize for rambling. If not, though, it's hella valuable information to have.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
Quote:Poftim, are you talking about lamellar (plates laced or wired to each other with no backing) or scale armor (fish-scale looking pieces wired in rows and then sewn to a backing). For either, best bet for starting out is the Leg XX site.

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/squamata.html

Also (if you haven't already) do yourself a favor and go ahead and invest in the Osprey books for our period. They're only about 10 bucks a pop on Amazon and they're absolutely invaluable, with TONS of color illustrations. A couple of the titles are even written by guys on this forum (specifically Roman Military Clothing 1-3 by Graham Sumner) so you have the advantage of actually being able to pose questions to the author! How many times have you wanted to do that with other books?

Some logical first picks would be Late Roman Cavalryman, Late Roman Infantryman, Roman Military Clothing 2, Roman Military Clothing 3, Romano-Byzantine Armies 4th-9th Centuries, Roman Army from Hadrian to Constantine, Arthur and the Anglo-Saxon Wars.

By the way, if all of this is old news to you then I do sincerely apologize for rambling. If not, though, it's hella valuable information to have.

Nope, I'll look into the books, thanks. Actually, Peroni e-mailed me his guide on making the scale armor stuff, so I was gonna follow that. Thanks for the help anyways though.
Eric

Brush-Popper extraordinaire
Excellent.

Peroni, I'd love to see what you've got as well. [email protected] .
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
Email sent Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how to build a lorica squamata munazio planco 12 5,892 11-04-2020, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Questions regarding construction of a Lorica Squamata cannonfodder90 3 1,305 02-09-2020, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Making a lorica squamata for a seven year old boy - some questions Iskierka 1 868 10-15-2018, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Crispvs