Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What aspect had the legionaries who captured Jesus Christ?
Quote:Tal faràs, tal trobaràs... :wink:

I don't understand, could you translate it to english please?
Martin
For Faventianvs
(Traslation)
I hope that you make of the likeable humour, otherwise is completely useless to continue to speak.
Hyrpus
Vincenzo Pastorelli
www.hephestus.net
www.arsdimicandi.net
Quote:
FAVENTIANVS:i5tiwcim Wrote:Tal faràs, tal trobaràs... :wink:

Something like What you seed id what you harvest.
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:
Titus Martius:bm2dpe2k Wrote:
FAVENTIANVS:bm2dpe2k Wrote:Tal faràs, tal trobaràs... :wink:

Something like What you seed is what you harvest.
Ivan Perelló
Io sono anche un humorista.

Quella che la diferencia tra le due imagini?

[Image: Dibujo.jpg]

[Image: passion-of-the-christ-3.jpg]

Sono tropo simili, come ha ditto il Faventianus. Ma e probabile que questa mia opinione no e importante per lui, e per tanto, non ha bisogno de continuare a parlare...

TRADUCTION:

I am an humorist, too.

What's the diference between the two images?

There are very similar , like Faventianus have said. But it's probable my opinion isn't important for him, and we should'nt talk about that...
to all:

if you want to discuss the leather segmentata do it in the appropriate thread: www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=5500

Further, i want that every member respects other members, including their opinion & idea's and not sarcastic remarks.

Also, a small remark in "non-English" is OK but nothing more. The language here on RAT is English.

go back on-topic or this one will be closed.
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
I make excuses myself with moderators but me it seemed that it had to be taken part when has been smashed a rule of the RAT.
(2, No outright hostility or illicit conduct -- this means flaming, or criticizing people in to disrespectful way. Malicious behavior (personal insults, "mobbing" or just being to sarcastic thug) is abuse, and moderators will intervene at the first sign of nastiness........)
good bye
Hyrpus
Vincenzo Pastorelli
www.hephestus.net
www.arsdimicandi.net
Quote:to all:

if you want to discuss the leather segmentata do it in the appropriate thread: www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=5500

Further, i want that every member respects other members, including their opinion & idea's and not sarcastic remarks.

Also, a small remark in "non-English" is OK but nothing more. The language here on RAT is English.

go back on-topic or this one will be closed.

Thanks Jeroen!!!

Her I only want speak or discuss that this thing: What aspect had the legionaries who captured Jesus Christ?

Ok???????????????????????

I need make one reconstruction about this legionary and need more points of view!!!

Sorry if someone has felt offended personally.

The RAT is a forum of discussión, and thanks to it learn many things thanks to our colleagues who give you information and who your you have you share it!

Gentlemen: there are few people that likes the world of the reenactment, if we are few groups, there is no the possibility of some helping others and to stop treading on heads!!!!! This type of culture survives thanks to our archeologists and to US that we do a work of visualization of ours hypothesis!!!!

There are better groups and worse groups but GENTLEMEN let's be all persons, so much some as others, from this wrangle nobody gets away himself.

Let's be so haughty not even so jokers. Let's be Persons
Thank you for collaborating.

Pd Peace please.
Carme
[url:utwukq64]http://www.primagermanica.com[/url]
[Image: vexilium.jpg]
I think it's safest to assume that these troops would have been auxiliaries. Pilate was an equestrian governor, and did not have the senatorial rank of a legionary legatus. So unless there is evidence that legionary detatchments (or individual legionaries) could have been put under the command of an equestrian governor (not counting Egypt!), better just to conclude that he only commands auxiliaries.

The impression I get is that crucifixion duty was not exactly a fun chore. It was more likely on a par with latrine cleaning, and I doubt Pilate would have inflicted it on his personal guards. Plenty of grunts in the rest of the cohort.

Again, playing it safe, auxiliary troops are generally thought to have been equipped with lorica hamata, plainish helmets (generally brass), oval shields, two or more lancea (throwing spears), and gladius. Plus the "usual" tunic, cloak, and caligae or other footwear. (Graham's Osprey books are terrific for this!) Of course, there is a lot of debate and gray area about this, so there are other possibilities! I agree that the troops at the Crucifixion might not have been armored, though it's possible that the arrest squad was. Helmets and/or shields but no body armor, maybe?

My old rule of thumb is that EVERYthing you see in a movie is probably wrong. Sometimes something accurate will sneak in, but probably by accident. If the movie is good otherwise, ignore all the junk and enjoy. Oh, one recent exception to the rule is "Alexander", in which most of the equipment actually looked a lot like it should. Remarkable! I didn't see the movie, though, and reviews were, uh, mixed, shall we say? Didn't see The Passion, either, but I figure the Book was better.

That help a little? Valete,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
And what about the Zealote's guards? Are those real?
Ivan Perelló
Quote: Again, playing it safe, auxiliary troops are generally thought to have been equipped with lorica hamata, plainish helmets (generally brass), oval shields, two or more lancea (throwing spears), and gladius. Plus the "usual" tunic, cloak, and caligae or other footwear. (Graham's Osprey books are terrific for this!) Of course, there is a lot of debate and gray area about this, so there are other possibilities! I agree that the troops at the Crucifixion might not have been armored, though it's possible that the arrest squad was. Helmets and/or shields but no body armor, maybe?

Clear! If we have common sense, we would be speaking about a few auxiliary troops; their mission was capture one person, Jesus Christ. It can be that they were coming armed, in agreement, but they would come com a police troop, we know that the Roman legionaries had the policemen's function inside cities.

The troop of crucifixion, they were going to fix in the cross a reprobate. The idea of taking the whole equipment I believe that is not logical; as you say, caligae, tunic, cingulum, but the general idea, I suppose, it is the simplicity of the equipment, they were not going to a war, were going to fix in the cross a person, or you change, clearly.
They are ideas of historical context.
Carme
I thought that there is an opinion that it was local non-Roman troops who arrested him, and after that he was handed over to the Romans?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Who are the local troops? civilians?
Carme
I'm sure it's the Temple Guard, but it's only an opinion I think. Other useful information about the Roman soldiers is in these posts, and others in the threads, especially Graham's comments:
[url:3kakp6m3]http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?p=60246#60246[/url]
[url:3kakp6m3]http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?p=60576#60576[/url]
Quote:when auxiliaries in tunics and cloaks without armour but carrying a fustis riot stick would have been more accurate and a lot cheaper!
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
no not civilians but when you take a look at Flavius Josephus for example who describes the events in Judaea of that time period and later (meaning the Jewish rebellion) he mentiones local troops of the king and the Judean government several times. The impression I got was that actually all the guard and police duties were up to local Judaean troops and that the Romans only interfered when there was some major event.

To me it seems like the whole process of guarding and police duties in Jerusalem where carried out by loyal locals and the Romans only interfered if necessary, even if there was a Roman garrison in the town. The feeling I got when reading this was that the Romans switched their troops quite often and tried to concentrate them near their bases like Caesarea for example and sometimes sent their soldiers out to the country to keep order there but tried not to show too much presence within the town itself whenever possible.

I'd say that the few occasions where Roman troops occur in Judaea in Josephus before the war are auxiliaries and that the Roman policy was to show presence in the area but stay out of local affairs as much as possible.
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jewish costume at the time of Christ Arthes 26 7,806 03-20-2006, 03:34 AM
Last Post: Spurius