Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Augst Helmet HELP
I am planning on building a copy of this helmet over the winter with guidance from my friend at CLANG Armoury. Mark is a first rate amourer with an excellent eye for detail. However I was wondering if there has been any information published on this helmet, and if so where can I obtain it?

Does anyone know where this helmet is displayed? I have been told that the museum where I thought it was displayed does not have it.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
I just google'd it, and I found this...

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?p=94291

Perhaps it may help
Brandon Shifflet
Thanks I have no idea whay my search didnt turn this up.

a.k.a. Paul M.
Clang Armoury? Hahahah...great name!

Are you going to do all the dishing yourself Paul?

Legion: TBD
Magnus,

We will do most of the dishing on a press that CLANG has.

I think you actually met us at Roman Days 2005 we were the guys in blue.

a.k.a. Paul M.
bastard, you know u better make 2 of these. i'll buy mine off of u if i cant make one with u and mark. Wink u gotta get me the kit details again
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Hi Paul & everyone who may be able to help,

I've recently purchased replica helmets and tried very much to match them with museum finds.

However, does nayone know, would teh helmets have been as finished and polished as the replicas are?

also, would the craftmanship have been meticulous or a bit haphazaad since it was all handmade?

ive got great books with artefcat finds on swords, scabbards and daggers, but it continues to do my head in as teh finsihed quality woudl have been to what standard?

Any ideas or references? Thanks
Rubicon

"let the die be cast "

(Stefano Rinaldo)
Ave Paul,

I just looked in a book about the Augst finds (Eckhard Deschler-Erb: 'Ad Arma!', Augst 1999).

There are 872 drawings of finds - but no helmet!

Only some fragments of first century headgear (crest holders, ear guard).
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Quote:However, does nayone know, would teh helmets have been as finished and polished as the replicas are?

Doubtful! :?

They were probably shiny and bright, but nowhere near as polished as the reconstructions. I always take an abrasive pad to all my steel helmets!
By the way, the replica helmets and lorica segmentata arrived with an oil on it. does anyone know what type of oil it is or should be used to "I assume" o stop the steel from rusting.
I would love some tips as the lorica has some rust spots developing, though it could add to the authenticity I guess.

Cheers
Rubicon

"let the die be cast "

(Stefano Rinaldo)
I generally use a Scotchbrite pad on all my equipment to dull it down some from the chrome bumper appearance that many reproductions have. If its a piece that I have made myself I generally finish it with 200 grit sandpaper by hand and leave it at that.

a.k.a. Paul M.
Check this:
http://111935.aceboard.fr/111935-542-51 ... cretes.htm
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Hello, as far as it is published on Hans Klumbach's 'Spätrömische Gardeheleme' (pages 115-117 and Plates 61-64), the Augst helmet is exhibited at the Römermuseum Augst (Switzerland) Inventory number 1967. 12577.
Unfortunately (mainly for myself! Tongue (

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Hi again,

I got re directed back here ( new timer ) thansk for yoru advice but could anyone help about the oil used on helmets and armour. Do they need it or is it just a delivery thing.

Cheers
Rubicon

"let the die be cast "

(Stefano Rinaldo)