Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another statue of Julius Caesar request with examples
Ave,

The small modern model below (which is phenomenally well done but insanely over priced) appears to be copied from this original statue, minus the helmet.

Does anyone have other photos of the original statue? The helmet was added on the model, perhaps just made up or perhaps it was there originally. In all honesty though, it appears that there should be a Parazonium in his left hand, which would be resting on his shoulder... not a helmet.

The sword is also very interesting, is that sword on the original statue? Also, those completely open sandals are different too. Although the artist who made the new model appears to have mis-shaped the shoulder doublers. The originals appear straight, but on the model they are the offset version (thin at the tie point and then thicker over the shoulder) why do that?

Anyways, can anyone date the original statue to the time of Julius Caesar or post closer, larger, or more complete examples? Unfortunately, my original Julius Caesar statue (the one with the Hellenistic boots) might be from a later period, restored, and the head of Julius Caesar might have just been popped on during the Renaissance; as per Travis Lee Clark... although I really, really, like those Hellenistic boots! I might still have to 'take a crack' at making them for my impression.

Those second layer "Tongue" Pteruges are very similar to those worn by Germanicus in his statue; although Germanicus' are longer.

The fringe on both the original statue and the model are more of a later post Hadrian style... why does Julius Caesar have Antonin era fringe?

[Image: Julius%20caesar%20statue.gif]

[Image: ar2-1_fr.jpg]

[Image: ar2-1_l.jpg]
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
Ave,

I found another photo of the statue, this time it's from head to toe. The statue is in Rome Italy.

I was rather hoping to see that sword (so I could try an replicate it) but, the sword is not there. I was hoping the model was a really accurate, highly detailed exact copy of the statue, so that I could use the very clear model as a base to also further make my cuirass more similar to a very late Republican era Officer… but apparently it’s not.

I'd still like to know about the shoes (open toed sandal style) Caesar is wearing, I haven't seen anyone try to make those in Recreation and I'd still like to know for sure if the statue is from Caesar’s era (app. 60BC to 44BC) not just from antiquity. If it is from the time Caesar lived, I might have to consider adding a second layer "Tongue" Pteruges to my impression.

[Image: Caesar_Rome_Italy.jpg]
Vale!

aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

The sword on the model is a typical 1st century AD gladius, although it's a bit wider than the originals. I doubt it would be on a statue made in Caesar's time :wink: Putting such a sword on a model of Caesar is an anachronism...
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
How much is it Anthony?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
http://www.soldiers-russia.com/new_soldiers/

Most of the prices seem to be 472USD for a model on foot. Smile
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:How much is it Anthony?

They only made 10 of them and the price is $1,890.00 US Dollars BUT if you act now, and if you send a direct Western Union money transfer, you can have that statue (the model of the statue, not the original statue in Rome) for a mere $1700.00! (seriously)
http://www.soldiers-russia.com/new_sold ... caesar.htm

Don't get me wrong, the workmanship on that piece is phenomenally well done, it really is a fabulous piece… I just can’t see spending that level of money on it.

It's the same as if a craftsman made an aweseome gladius but wants $1700 for it... that's just too much IMHO. Then again, I lay out quite a bit of my cash on small pieces of silver called "ancient coins" ... I'm sure some modeling guy would call me nuts so.... so, I guess I shouldn't talk! :wink:
Vale!

aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

Ive touched this statue WOW ,there is a full line of Emporers in Rome along the road. I also payed homage at his tomb Cry
[Image: gjc1.jpg]
[Image: gjc2.jpg]
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)