Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Siege of Byzantium. Dio\'s sources
I've just been reading Cassius Dio's report (through Xiphillinus, 74.11-14) with especially the naval episodes in mind. There seemed to be an uncanny likeness with especially Josephus' accounts of the second siege of Joppa and the battle on the Sea of Galilee. Did Dio find inspiration in the Bellum Iudaicum?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Did Dio find inspiration in the Bellum Iudaicum?
That would surprise me. The communis opinio is that of the goyyim, only Porphyry read Josephus. I think that the c.o. is right. If Dio had read the Jewish author, 65.1.3 would not refer to "a Jew named Josephus", I think, but to "the historian Josephus", or "the Jewish commander Joseph", and the quote would be more accurate.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Thanks for confirming that Jona. I read an article later, that said that Dio actually started his history after an earlier, flattering report of Severus' wars. He had plenty chances to talk to practice autopsy. Moreover, there were many people around to correct his story, if needed.
The conclusion must be that it was not unusual for shore-dwellers to flee to the seas when their city was about to be taken in siege.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Is there a parallel in Herodian or the Historia Augusta?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Herodian barely mentions the siege, says how long it lasted. The HA says Niger occupied Byzantium and then skips to the juicy details of SeptSev beating him. Dio's report of the entire war is by far the most extensive, which - for the reason mentioned above - does make sense.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys