• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman helmet crests
Aitor

Which thread did it come out of please?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Conal,
the parent thread is link from old RAT but it is totally unrelated. 8)

Cheers,

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:'The shorter the leather straps are, the better will they work'

Yes it makes sense. Also because a transversal crest on such tipology of helmet looked very, very bad! Big Grin Then, if longitudinal, and considering the position of the buckles, it can seem that the crest size match to the small crest of the Costantinus' coin above (and to the small crests seen in several relieves), even if it looks like an artistic convention to create room for the text...

Do you know if were used thin bronze (or other metal) wires, instead of leather straps to fix the crest?

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
I am sure i can see "pin" holes both front and back ?

Could these be used to slot a box into ?
Conal Moran

Yoda
that is very interesting...
Paulus Claudius Damianus Marcellinus / Damien Deryckère.

<a class="postlink" href="http://monsite.orange.fr/lesherculiani/index.jhtml">http://monsite.orange.fr/lesherculiani/index.jhtml

[Image: bandeau2008miniyi4.jpg]

Nouveau forum de l\'Antiquité Tardive: <a class="postlink" href="http://schnucks0.free.fr/forum/index.php">http://schnucks0.free.fr/forum/index.php
Conal,
This thread almost self-originated when I did a remark on the beautiful feather crest on Daniele's signature. It reminds strongly those showy horsehair or, more probably feathered crests on some helmets depicted on the Vth AD Virgilius Romanus.
For instance, that sported by Minerva herself on which seems to be an Intercisa IV metallic crest:
[Image: Minerva-copia.jpg]
or by prince Turnus, Aeneas' archienemy:
[Image: Turnus-1.jpg]
The 'pin holes' you're referring to are in fact rivet holes for the now lost dome-headed silver rivets linking the ridge to the bowl halves. 8)

Daniele,
I don't know whether metal wire was used for attaching removable crests to helmets. On the Budapest helmet, the four buckles were clearly designed to hold leather straps. Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Aitor

I have seen a number of images showing red crests but thanks for the close ups... very helpful Big Grin

Can you say how many jewels on the ridge itself ... I am tempted to draw an interpretaion so it would be helpful to know how much surface area was available to settle a box on?

Thanks
Conal Moran

Yoda
If it was a wooden crestbox, perhaps it was recessed underneath to accommodate the jewels without damaging them.

Small round gouges would work.
Sure, maybe a reverse "V":

[Image: Maybe%20late%20crest.jpg]

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Both possibilities are very likely Big Grin

I intend to scan the pics I took from the Budapest helmet on next month and send them to Jasper, so thay are included in the imagebase 8)

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Quote:Sure, maybe a reverse "V":

[Image: Maybe%20late%20crest.jpg]

Valete,

Can i be a real pain and suggest that such a Toblerone shape might not need side buckles ?
Conal Moran

Yoda

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christies Late Roman helmet: 1 or 2? Robert Vermaat 96 24,161 09-21-2018, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Crests and Roman Soldiers comicus 41 11,902 08-27-2017, 04:35 PM
Last Post: angus1235
  Late Roman Centurion Helmet Connor Augustus 3 1,795 12-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat