Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"How to" make a pugio
Lucius,

Cliffhangers were serial movies done back in the 1930s. The movie usually ended in a very dramitic part (usually very suspensful) of the film so people would be left on the edges of their seats until the next installment. Sometimes they ran in a 24 part series over weeks, or at the beginning of films shown in theatres.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:The movie usually ended in a very dramitic part (usually very suspensful) of the film.

Sometimes literally a man hanging from the end of a cliff. Hence the term.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Cesar,

Could you perhaps add a picture of some components with a centimeter alongside, so I can get a better grasp on dimensions. I would like to make the 1 st century type with the less wide blade and some reference in measurement would really help.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Yes.

If you need a special mesurement, don't hesitate to question me about it, and i'll can mesure for you.

[Image: IMG_0974.jpg]

Lacks the rivets, it's only for photo.... :roll:
Thanks Cesar, most helpfull. It's wide then I thought.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
This is a little off topic, but I've been thinking about this for a while:

If the handle of a pugio is too small for the hand, could they have wrapped the handle in leather?

Several modern knife makers wrap a metal handle with para-cord and I don't see why the Romans would have used a knife with bad ergonomics when they could have just made the handle bigger or wrapped it in something.
Eric

Brush-Popper extraordinaire
Quote:If the handle of a pugio is too small for the hand, could they have wrapped the handle in leather?
A number of pugio handgrips have intricate, and I suppose therefore expensive, inlays on them. I don't really see why they'd be covered by leather or cord?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Poftim:1c1kks4m Wrote:If the handle of a pugio is too small for the hand, could they have wrapped the handle in leather?
A number of pugio handgrips have intricate, and I suppose therefore expensive, inlays on them. I don't really see why they'd be covered by leather or cord?

But then why make them too small for someone's hand? Their sword handles weren't too small.
Eric

Quote:But then why make them too small for someone's hand? Their sword handles weren't too small.

Ever seen how thin the handle on an epee is? And I disagree about gladii handles being 'normal' thickness, some original finds look like they've gone without food for weeks.
[url:2tcu4lss]http://www.romancoins.info/d-2005%20(5).JPG[/url]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Poftim:1wj0imzj Wrote:But then why make them too small for someone's hand? Their sword handles weren't too small.

Ever seen how thin the handle on an epee is? And I disagree about gladii handles being 'normal' thickness, some original finds look like they've gone without food for weeks.
[url:1wj0imzj]http://www.romancoins.info/d-2005%20(5).JPG[/url]

But again, I simply can't understand why they would make something too small for your hand?
Eric

Because they were smaller than us?
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
This is hijacking Cesar's How-To thread.

New topic started here:

[url:3zmwmt5p]http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?p=97840#97840[/url]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Looking forward to new developments on this thread, have moved my comment to on handles to the new thread. What kind of rivets will you use? The red copper ones or yellow brass? I see you are using brass plate on reconstruction, was this the preferred material. I am also finding references to red copper, bat am having difficulty tying them in.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote:This is hijacking Cesar's How-To thread.

New topic started here:

[url:3bxsat7n]http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?p=97840#97840[/url]
Sorry.
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Robert,

For ataching the wood parts of the hilt, i have used 4 copper rivets. Two in the hilt and two in the guard. I have used copper because it's easy to work. Romans use it very often, but you can use another metals like brass, iron, silver.

For atach the metal parts of the handle, there will be five rivets more: two in the pommel, one in the circular tang expansion and two more at the guard. The function of that rivets are more decorative, so i'll use a little ones, probably of brass or silver.

So, in a pugio handle we have spend 9 rivets!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How did they make this pugio scabbard? Magnus 26 5,448 02-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Last Post: LVCIVS VVLPES
  Who can make a pugio handle? Virilis 4 1,869 08-03-2006, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat