Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rome\'s most fearsome enemy
I wouldn't like to face an army of Dacians armed with the falx! Confusedhock:
Just respect to Empire (post Augustus), apart from other Romans, strictly in terms of direct damage and effects, not indirect ones, that directly led to decline and collapse of the West, my personal listing of the most dangerous enemies of Rome are:
1) Sassanians
2) Goths
3) Huns and their allies
4)...
last) Germans

Overall I think the Rhine boundary was relatively quite stable. The real enemies that really caused major historical consequences, that "changed the world", were those along the Danube and the Eastern Sassanian theaters. The Rhine became a problem and was breached only once the empire's resilience was lost. The resilience was directly lost due to the long term effect of the huge expenses against "Persia" and the relatively more immediate catastrophic failure of the Gothic problem that culminated in the revolt of the mass of goths that were allowed to cross the Danube.

The "Goths" were more sophisticated and became a truly huge demographic and military problem once they got pushed up against the Danube by the mounting hunnic pressure and were allowed to enter the empire in a disorganized way. The confusion led to their revolt and impossibility of eliminating their cancerous presence. Later the Huns themselves arrived in Pannonia with a huge mess of allies.

In the East the Sassanians, ever since Shapor 1, really did match and occasionally over-shadowed Rome's power. Ever since Shapor the two "equal" empires were periodically at each others throats. In the third century the coups and roman internal wars of the third century, the Goths, and this new truly mortal Persian enemy, there was a huge increase in size of army (30% increase of army size and expenses causing major economic, social and political effects that changed the nature of the empire). Ultimately, a hundred years leter, the Gothic problem was handled terribly, as mentioned above. But ultimately they were induced to move west and leave the eastern half of the empire. But by then the economically weaken west and the fragmented and bastardized army could no longer manage the effects of independent and ultimately hostile forces inside its territory. The Rhine collapsed from inside and was easily overrun by the "Germans". Once inside the west the empire could hardly hope to expel the barbarian "kingdoms" and the cancer grew more and more. Later even the Huns were induced/decided by the eastern empire to move to the weaker west. The richer east, without the Gothic and then hunnic problem, reorganized and managed to deal with its only really long-term dangerous enemy, the Persians. The eastern empire and the Persians kept fighting and ultimately the exhausted themselves and were then unable to resist Muslim expansion.

In a fair comparison to the world-shaking effects of the aggressive Sassanian neighbors, of the Gothic problem, and the hunnic invasion, the Rhine enemies had practically no effect in the everyday life of Romans and had no direct effects in the collapse of the western half except at the very end. Indirect maybe, but them maybe not. The "Germans" of the Rhine, as enemies, were for centuries relatively trivial, almost to the point of being irrelevant.
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Republic :
Hannibal was the most dangerous.

Principate :
The kingdom of Dacians - Domitian had soms serious trouble wtih them and Trajan needed a big army to defeat them.

The Marcomanni - It took M Aurelius a lot of hard fighting to subdue them.

The Sassanids - I follow Goffredo.

The Goths - were a real menace after Theodosius.
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus
Fearsome? Why? Do you really think the Romans were in fear of someone? I think that what they could feel, facing the danger, was attention, worry, alarm, maybe..., but not true fear.

I think that as "Populus Romanus" it was the least inclined to feel the true, real fear, almost "genetically". It was a state of mind that derived from the republican history in my opinion: too many dangers were surpassed, yes, through great pains, but always surpassed. A calm certainty that could have been doped, always more, their reflexes, in a figurative sense, of course, like less or more, a nobleman that does not realize to be ruining his properties and gives his bad situation just a cursory glance: he's not in fear, is just annoyed or irritated. Of course, I'm not telling about the "immediate" fear, like when people face an actual siege or raid, but about that fear, or better, that anxiety, caused by "overhanging" or "imminent" dangers.

I think that tells the Romans apart in comparison with other peoples, like the Cartaginians (may I ?), the Gauls, the Germans, the Dacians, the Marcomanni and Quadi, the Goths, or even the Sassanians, whose aggressiveness could directly derive from their "deep" and real fear of Roma, and is similar to some dogs aggressiveness: impressive, but due to the fear.

An accelerated changing could be in the last times of the Empire as the last Romans had lost totally their spiritual strength derived from the classical vision of the world, and were unable to spiritually react and fight back as was "normal" to their, not too much, remote ancestors.

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
A Roman with scars on the back of his body was a shameful thing, and it was nothing to do with slaves. The more scars you had on the front the higher you were held in esteem.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hey guys! The Empire didn't end in the 5th century! It kept going for another 1000 years.

You can't leave out the Arabs (captured HUGE sections of the Empire in the 8th century), the Russian Vikings and, finally, the Turks. And you should probably add the Franks and Normans to that list (including, of course, the Crusaders of the First and Fourth Crusades).
"It is safer and more advantageous to overcome the enemy by planning and generalship than by sheer force"
The Strategikon of Emperor Maurice

Steven Lowe
Australia
The Roman Empire survived until 1453 in the form of the Byzantine or Eastern Roman Empire. In that case, it was the Ottoman Turks that put an end to this magnificent empire.
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

Precisely - and many times the Romans of the Byzantine era faced enemies of considerably greater military sophistication than those of the earlier centuries - continuing the Empire for another millenium after the "end" of the Empire with the fall of the West.

Gibbon has a lot to answer for.
"It is safer and more advantageous to overcome the enemy by planning and generalship than by sheer force"
The Strategikon of Emperor Maurice

Steven Lowe
Australia
I would suggest that the biggest enemy of Imperial Rome was time. Entropy is the natural disintegration of order into chaos unless outside energy is continually applied.

In Rome's case, the cost of maintaining its huge armies, huge bureaucracies, and the subsidizing the increasingly demanding, but unproductive population of Rome itself gradually became more than the empire could support.

Rome didn't fall so much as it fell apart. (Byzantium was a successor state, but underwent the same growth and vitality followed by decline and fall.)

Such has happened to powerful, and not-so-powerful, nations throughout history. Such also happens to businesses, sports franchises, automobiles and our bodies.

Time trashes all your trophies.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
Well put Ron! Smile
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

The Romans themselves. Look at their history. Mad Emperors, civil war, etc...
"There are some who call me... Tim..."

Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Exitus acta probat

Nemo saltat sobrius

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Fortes Fortuna Aduvat

"The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one! Good odds for any Greek!"
Quote:perhaps we would all be speaking Latin still.
Er.... Excuse me.. But a lot of us still speak Latin, in its Italian, Spanish, French, and so on, variants.
It's not Cicero's Latin, but Cicero couldn't understand the archaïc latin inscriptions in his time either. Eh.. 8)

For a long time, in the early days and according to the Romans themselves, the Gauls were Rome's most dangerous enemies. Hannibal beat the Romans several times with the essential help of Gallic warriors. There was the term "tumultus gallicus" which described if I remember well a call to arms organised specifically in case of a Gallic raid.
Then after the Gauls were conquered, the Germans in the West and the Iranians (Parthians and Sassanids)in the East became Rome's most feared enemies.
In the Vth Century, Western Europe fragmented into Germanic style sub-kingdoms while the Eastern Romans exhausted themselves for centuries fighting the Iranians who exhausted themselve likewise fighting the Eastern Romans.
In the VIIth century AD the followers of one Mohammed were thus able to conquer an exhausted Persia single handedly. They eventually took Constantinople as well.
Thus were closed "the two eyes of the world".
Pascal Sabas
Think fellow Romans might have killed more Romans than anyone else. However, if we say who killed the most Romans with a smaller field of soldiers, we would have much difficulty. Hannibal did a couple of times, Parthians perhaps , but I think the Jews did a lot of havoc man for man. Other groups had huge numberical advantages against the Romans it seems but not the Jews. Think I read about a massacre the Jews did on Cyprus against the Roman civilian population and military there , just cannot remember where I read that.
Ralph Varsity
Ralph, sources please.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Christianity

for it destroyed the classic Roman world.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Dacians: Rome\'s Greatest Enemy? Titus Manlius Verus 149 36,870 02-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Frostwulf
  Rome\'s Public Enemy #1 praetor0708 64 13,260 08-08-2010, 03:24 AM
Last Post: Alanus
  Hannibal: The Enemy Of Rome Avatar 0 1,423 06-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Avatar