Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conical Caligae Hobnails
I may be willing to stock the hobnails, but I would need to find out if you are willing to wholesale them, at what price and what the minimum order would be.

I didn't see in the posts that I read what you are offering them for at retail price and what the minimum amount would be to get them from Canada.
Julia Cassia
aka Julie Brooks
La Wren\'s Nest
I have a call in to the manufacturer right now for a firm quote on a 100lb total order- so the price per pound that will work out to is what everone will pay. The initial price I posted is their retail price per pound for stuff they stock, so it will be lower for the full order. They're made in the US so those of you who are there would be getting them directly from the manufacturer- I'll just forward the orders and they'll bill you presumably, so everything is done at the same time, and I'll take care of distribution for those outside the US.

There's no minimum order per se- we need a total order of 100lbs, so how much each person or group commits to is up to them- this just won't happen if we can't reach 100lbs though.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
The problem with my purchasing them with the rest of the reenactors, rather than a wholesale price, is that when I receive them I would have to charge more than what you are asking for in price because I would have to cover shipping costs, etc.

Is there anyway I can deal directly with the manufacturer in the US who may be able to get me a better wholesale deal, so I can retail them for the same retail price.
Julia Cassia
aka Julie Brooks
La Wren\'s Nest
I don't think you understand Julie- it's not a question of wholesale vs. retail- this whole exercise is wholesale. The manufacturer doesn't have them in stock and they haven't made any for over a year now- I'm trying to get them to make the nails, and that they'll only do if the order is at least 100lbs. Once those are gone, they won't make more until they have another 100lb minimum order. So whatever amout is purchased now is all there'll be for a time- thus if anyone buys them to later sell, there'll be no problem since none cheaper will be available any more.

The price I'll be posting, once I get it from them, will be based on a 100lb order, so unless you would order more just for yourself, you can't get a better price. In fact, unless you could order 100lbs for yourself, they won't even make them- if you do want that much, it'd be better to order them with all of us- that would result in an even larger order and thus a better price...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I am coming into this conversation a little late, so you will have to excuse me that I don't know all the nuances. I have browsed many of the posts, but I have not had the time to look at all of them.

To save me some time, if it is not a huge problem for you, would you mind telling me what the price is each pound for the 100 lbs and what currently do you stand at for a total of pounds towards that order.

Thanks.
Julia Cassia
aka Julie Brooks
La Wren\'s Nest
FYI: The following email was sent to Roman Army Group:

Date: Nov 7, 2006 12:59 AM
Subject: Re: [RomanArmy] Question: Hobnails for Caligas
To: [email protected]

Legion XXIV will support the hobnail project. Put us down for 10 pounds or so.

Gallio Marsallas - Legion XXIV
www.legionxxiv.org
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
That's great Tony, thanks. I still haven't heard back about the actual cost, but will post it when I do.
FYI: The following email was sent to Roman Army Group:

Date: Nov 7, 2006 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: [RomanArmy] Question: Hobnails for Caligas
To: [email protected]

Thanks for all the good answers!!
And the price... That would be my next question too!
When we know that, ill be happy to sign up for 10
pounds too.

Flavius R.
Coh II Cimb
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Quote:Legion XXIV will support the hobnail project. Put us down for 10 pounds or so.

Gallio wants ten, and I had ten for Legio XX alone. Tony, were you separate from the ten?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Rich -

I've been obsessing about hobnails since I started this hobby. If they are finally going to be available, I'm going to lay in a stockpile.

I've committed to 4 pounds on my own. And if the price comes down... ...maybe I'll take more. After all can you ever have too many hobnails?

;-) )

Quote:Tony, were you separate from the ten?
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

:lol: Very good point! And weirdly enough, it's been the same for me as soon as I saw what real Roman hobnails looked like- I'd always been very disappointed with the substitutes we've had to use, so when I finally found these I was thrilled... so it was a major letdown when I found out the manufacturer didn't have any and wouldn't be making any in the forseeable future... without a 100lb order. I backordered some in the hopes that some large order would come along but after nearly a year now, nothing has changed- hopefully it really will fairly soon :wink:
I'll have 2lb, sorry I can't take more!

Awesome job for finding these! I've ummed and ahhed about the Leprovo ones, its only down the road, but it annoyed me that they weren't really good enough.
cheers
Adam
On a cold and gray Chicago mornin\'
A poor little baby child is born
In the ghettoooooo...
(vocalist extrodinaire- Eric Cartman)
How many are we away from the 100lb mark?
Matt J.
Titus Arabius Matho
Legion XI
We're REALLY close- about 82lbs now- another 18 and we're set Big Grin
I'm not rushing you (I know you already put in the query to the company) but I think once we get the revised bulk price that'll be what drives in the last few folks.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Caligae Hobnails Doc 5 2,892 01-24-2009, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Doc
  Finished Caligae using the new hobnails Neuraleanus 3 1,845 03-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Neuraleanus