Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conical Caligae Hobnails
Quote:Here is a picture of the underside of one of my caliga using the Le Prevo hobnails:

[url:3ekrjvir]http://www.geocities.com/legio_tricesima_cohors_tres/campusMartis/MakingCaligae/caligaenailing.jpg[/url]

They're just pounded into the sole and they're staying in fine. I've worn these caligae to several events and there is no indication of looseness. Maybe the use of extra-hard sole leather may have something to do with it.

Thanks for posting this! I myself have had different experiences (using very hard leather for the sole as well) when walking a lot on uneven rocky (in mountaineous areas) ground or longer distances over gravel roads. One guy from our group has by now lost some 70-80% of the nails of his caligae over the last 8+ years - all those nails were just pounded in normally as the shafts were too short. OTOH as long as you only walk over grass and/or plain ground etc. mainly, there shouldn't be much of a difference.
Hi All,

In regard to use of the Leprevo hobnails we are in a rather unique position.

A number of our lads wear their caligae nearly every day pounding the pavements of Deva rain or shine and our biggest problem is not loosing nails but in their replacement due to wear.

After a reasonably short time the initial shape of the nail is irrelevant as the wear changes this dramatically. We are currently having to re nail due to wear between five to six months and a resole about eighteen.

The nails are just hammered in to a proper sole and seem to hold in just fine even when used every day.

Hope this will help some in making decisions as which way to go.

Regards,

Gary
\\" I just need something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live.\\" Q.O.T.S.A

Gary Rodwell
aka Gaius Longius Deva Victrix Chester Garrison
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.romantoursuk.com">http://www.romantoursuk.com
Quote:One guy from our group has by now lost some 70-80% of the nails of his caligae over the last 8+ years

Isn't that normal? Smile
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:We are currently having to re nail due to wear between five to six months and a resole about eighteen.
Some estimates put original caligae hobnails at a shorter lifespan, others at longer IIRC. Sounds like a good innings. I have LePrevo hobnails on my carbatinae. At my current rate of use, they'll outlive me.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I have to ask about the length of the LePrevo nails' shank. As I understand it they can be driven in but not clenched if the leather sole is very thick, right? Assuming that, they may be clenched if using a thinner leather sole. What would you suggest is the thickest sole that could support clenching. Some people have said their unclenched ones last pretty well. ( Since I only wear mine a few times a year for events they seem o.k.)
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
I've just been told there may be some new samples on the way from the manufacturer I'd thought gave up on the idea, so if that's true and they're good, this may work afterall- of course this all happens one day after I say it's over LOL
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Ok, everyone, I give in - they do keep even when not clenched over :-) )

Quote:I have to ask about the length of the LePrevo nails' shank.

10 mm, enough in most places, but a bit more would be good for areas like e.g. around the heel, were combined soles thickness often exceeds that.
I sure hope this works this time. I'm just in pretty bad need of some kind.
The ones that came on my caligae were not especially great to begin with.
Very odd shaped/faceted and not long at all. After a little more than a year
(and honestly not much wear,except for the 5 mile Mardi Gras parade, they hurt like hell after wearing them less than an hour. No padding seems to help for very long. need re-soled at least.

Good luck, Matt and thanks again for all your effort.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Quote:I've just been told there may be some new samples on the way from the manufacturer I'd thought gave up on the idea, so if that's true and they're good, this may work afterall- of course this all happens one day after I say it's over LOL

I'll cross my fingers! Let's hope its a go. It slips my mind right now how many lbs. I'd put in for but please disregard any previous amounts and put me in for 10lbs. I NEVER want to run out 8) .

Lucianus
L.E. Pearson
:lol: ME TOO!!
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Hope this works out for you Matt! Look forward to seeing this!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hurray!
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Hobnails, hobnails, wherefore art thou hobnails?
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
I'll have news VERY soon guys. VERY SOON. And it ought to be good :wink:
Is it to late to get in on the hobnails?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Caligae Hobnails Doc 5 2,956 01-24-2009, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Doc
  Finished Caligae using the new hobnails Neuraleanus 3 1,862 03-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Neuraleanus