Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collecting and buying ancient coins
I have received a moderate amount of money with a request to buy something for a museum. I have checked the collection of that museum and have noticed that their numismatic department might need some additions, so I am thinking of buying some coins and donating them.

I am not completely ignorant about numismatics, but I do not know anything about buying them (giving the money directly to the museum is, for complex reasons, no option). Is there someone who can give me some clues about starting a coin collection?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Jona: I had a coin collection since I was five years old, eventually collected about 3,000 pieces over 40-some years, and then had to sell all of them about five years ago for family emergency Sad . About 1,000 pieces were dated before AD 500.

You may have noticed that the "Indispensable Ancient Civilian Booklist" coin section is the most fully developed section. (I greatly still appreciate coin artwork, historical significances, etc. Smile )

I'd be glad to share what I learned from buying in the U.S., Canada, Europe, and Latin America; and particularly about Roman imperial (mostly) & provincial coins (some). Also some links to several very good, educational websites.

There may be a good number RAT members with more coin collecting experience, or with very different experience, such as coinage of other cultures and periods. However, if no one else has contacted you, or if additional insights/perspectives may help, please feel free send me a PM. I'd be glad to help. Smile
AMDG
Wm. / *r
Quote:You may have noticed that the "Indispensable Ancient Civilian Booklist" coin section is the most fully developed section.
Confession: I had not... :oops: Thanks for pointing it out!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient Coins DanM 1 903 06-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Ioannes_Ahenobarbus
  Collectors of Ancient Roman Coins apierucci 22 5,605 03-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Lucius Rabirius