Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishes instead of eyebrows on helmets?
Hi folks!
On this relief from Mainz legionary helmets have fishes on bowl, does any other relief show this feature?
Martin
One of Heiko's faves:
[url:1l03bz29]http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?p=83356#83356[/url]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
So Mainz relief is the only representation of fishes on helmets?
Martin
Salve,

This is an interesting possibility. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this before, but .....

At the time the Mainz pedestal reliefs were made, there were two legions in residence, the 14th and the 1st Audiatrix. There are two distinct shield designs on the reliefs, one being from the 14th legion (the figure leading a mule or captive). The other is the above figure, so it could well represent the 1st Audiatrix legion with it's shield design! However, the surviving Gallic I helmets which are all associated with the 1st & 2nd Audiatrix legions all have fairly conventional eyes embossed onto the front, not fishes. Also, the same group of helmets seemed to have Coolus-type crest-holders on the top, which cannot be seen here (though on the Adamclissi reliefs there is the hint of one [finishing off a Dacian in classic style - barging with a raised shield while poking him in the side with a sword] which as the 1st Audiatrix probably took part on the campaign probably makes sense.....) So make of that what you will! :roll:

Vale,

Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.
Does anyone have a good image of this other figure that might represent the LEGXIIII soldier? Given that the tombstone of Gnaeus Musius is usually used as evidence of the LEGXIIII shield design, it'd be interesting to know if the Mainz pedestal representation supports that...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:Does anyone have a good image of this other figure that might represent the LEGXIIII soldier? Given that the tombstone of Gnaeus Musius is usually used as evidence of the LEGXIIII shield design, it'd be interesting to know if the Mainz pedestal representation supports that...

Here's the soldier leading the captive.. It also looks like he's wearing his sword on the left!? The pommel, grip and guard are all clearly visible near the edge of the scutum.

[Image: mainzpedestalbases12_20050624_-4-1.jpg]
hmmm the pic is interesting.he's really wearing his sword on the left. there is another thread here with a quote from Flavius Iosephus mentioning the sword on the left. well anyways...when you look at the first pic posted here from the Mainz relief may the soldier in front be wearing his sword on the left as well? maybe it's just not represented at all but on the other hand he clearly isn't wearing it on the right and the left side is covered by his shield but his belt is visible. maybe another depiction of a soldier wearing his sword on the left? i mean maybe the right was standard but when I think back to my time in the army some wore their knife standard way , some, like me for instance, prefered to wear their knife on the left upper side, over the left breast upside down.hmmmm....makes you think lol
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]