Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accuracy of Troops in Rome: Total War
Hello all, I'm just curious as to how accurate the soldiers in Rome: Total War are.... Let me see what I can think of, and I would appreciate corrections Big Grin

House of Julii, Brutii, Scipii, SPQR: Were wardogs really used like this?

Egypt: Now, the Pharaoh's Guardsmen phalanx unit wearing those Pharaoh crowns MUST be crazy, right?

Eastern Civilizations: Are there historical records of the Catarphract armored horse units like that? And if I recall, they can pull out like a mace sort of thing to attack. Is this accurate? (The mace might be Barbarian Invasion).

I will edit here if I find more I'm not too sure of... 8)

Andrew
Andrew James Beaton
Looking for ancient coins of Gallienus, Postumus, Victorinus, Tetricus I and II, and the Severan Era!
Quote:Eastern Civilizations: Are there historical records of the Catarphract armored horse units like that? And if I recall, they can pull out like a mace sort of thing to attack. Is this accurate? (The mace might be Barbarian Invasion).

Yes, they look fine to me.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Hello all, I'm just curious as to how accurate the soldiers in Rome: Total War are.... Let me see what I can think of, and I would appreciate corrections Big Grin

House of Julii, Brutii, Scipii, SPQR: Were wardogs really used like this?

No, that is one of the sillier fantasy elements in the game. Along with the "Flaming Pigs" units and the Germanic "Screeching Women"

Quote:Egypt: Now, the Pharaoh's Guardsmen phalanx unit wearing those Pharaoh crowns MUST be crazy, right?

Just about everything in that faction is wrong. The Ptolemaic Kingdom fought Macedonian-style and they didn't look like something out of The Ten Commandments.

For mods which change RTW to something much more accurate, check out Rome Total Realism and Europa Barbarorum. Both replace the sillier parts of the original game, reskin most units with more accurate armour and weapons and make the game more interesting, historical and fun to play.
Tim ONeill / Thiudareiks Flavius /Thiudareiks Gunthigg

HISTORY FOR ATHEISTS - New Atheists Getting History Wrong

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Players needed Rome Total War Warrior of Italia 7 3,251 11-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Stug50
  Rome 2 Total Realism 3 released JaM 2 5,902 12-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Timus
  Rome: Total War II rononmaximus 250 90,762 10-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Last Post: womble67