Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calone c. 66-100 A.D. Help Please!
Hello all, I am not a frequent poster, but I hope to become more involved. I have the opportunity to join a local reenactment group (Legio III Cyrenaica) as a Calone, since I am only 14 :lol: . As a collector of Roman coins and a Roman history fanatic, I think this sounds pretty cool. I have some questions. The group says their main emphasis is on 66-100 A.D. Here is what is listed for a Calone's gear:

1 - Tunic w/belt (linen or wool)
1 - Pair Caligae
1 - Pugio

Does anyone know the best places to get these made or bought? Does anyone have any examples of what is most historically accurate for this time period (although I'm assuming that since this is very basic there won't be much on accuracy Big Grin ).

Lastly, a Calone is really one to help the legionaries with things, right?

Thanks for the help!

Andrew
Andrew James Beaton
Looking for ancient coins of Gallienus, Postumus, Victorinus, Tetricus I and II, and the Severan Era!
Excellent, a calone!! I think that's terrific. As always, your best guide for "is this good enough" is the group you plan to join. If we tell you to buy something and your unit leader disagrees, that can be trouble for you! Nevertheless, you might get pointed towards the Legio XX site at some point:

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/

It has tons of "how to" information and recommendations for sources.

One thing you might add to the equipment list is a cloak of some sort, at least when it's chilly. I'd also suggest that local "barbarian" clothing could be used, even mixed with Roman stuff. Heck, enough of us legionaries do that!

Good luck, and have fun!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Hi Andrew,

Welcome!
For shoe's, you may want to go for the inexpensive Iron age variety, if they allow this or you can make carbatina or calceus. Your feet will probably have some growth left in them and caligae are not cheap. Matthew has pointed you to the Legio XX site, they are indeed a great help. Big Grin Look under civilian clothing for above mentioned shoe patterns.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Calones sometimes took part in military actions and fought. Some calones depicted on tomb stones are definately shown wearing helmets. (and sometimes armour IIRC)
Just an FYI, the correct singular form is calo. Latin is not like English: multiple calones does not mean nominative singular *calone. If you were talking about a groom in the ablative, sure, you'd have calone, but for English best stick to calo.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote: 1 - Tunic w/belt (linen or wool)
1 - Pair Caligae
1 - Pugio

Does anyone know the best places to get these made or bought? Does anyone have any examples of what is most historically accurate for this time period (although I'm assuming that since this is very basic there won't be much on accuracy Big Grin ).

My personal preference is to make them yourself, with the likely exception of the Pugio. It will be much more rewarding to be able to stand around in things which are made with your own two hands. For me, it's just part of the re-enactment. Understanding the work that went into what you're wearing.

Also, just because you aren't old enough for the group to allow you to be a soldier, yet, doesn't mean you can't start building your armor. You just won't be able to wear it or drill with them until you've reached the 'responsible' age.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Perhaps it is a good idea to start of with making a soldiers belt. Making the plates and perhaps even the buckle should give you good practice in working metal and handling tools. Starting of with a hamata or segmentata could be pretty daunting Big Grin
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Well, I'm not a very handy person, so I don't know how that would turn out :lol:

Thanks Danno, I was going to ask what the correct term for "calone" would be, but did not when nobody had corrected me Smile

Andrew
Andrew James Beaton
Looking for ancient coins of Gallienus, Postumus, Victorinus, Tetricus I and II, and the Severan Era!
Here's a picture from the grave stone of Marcus Aemilius Durises of his calo.. He wears a Weiler type cavalry A helmet..

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... isesd3.jpg
Hi Andrew,

Check the legio XX site for pointers. It's well worth it to make some things yourself. A sheet of brass, a good hammer and some different types of rings and punches bring you a long way to experimenting with something relatively simple. Use brass nails as rivets. It will take practice to get it right, but hey, who wanted to be a calo in the first place Big Grin
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers