Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Political Re-Enactment Modernized
Quote:[quote="Chris Weimer

" am part of a society which once held those aspirations"

This part scares the "----" out of me.

Right,Dan. I was wondering for a minute if this was "Woadie" in disguise.

He DEFINITELY is not Woadie, I know him very well from the Societas Via Romana, a small but fine forum where we discuss everything Roman. Check it out at www.societasviaromana.org I'm registered there as Cleopatra Aelia.
Cleopatra Aelia! You rescued me!!
Just goes to show quality is not always in numbers Big Grin Still, I'm now off, back to chainmail, 1st century re-enactment along the Limes and trying to get my subarmalis right. Many happy returns and may Juno smile on you.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Yes, good luck. You had us stumped for a moment, minus all the details and specifics. The other forum is helpfully explanatory.
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Agreed. Though you should have just linked us to that place from the beginning, it would have avoided a lot of the confusion. Though I'm still curious how you want to succeed where Nova Roma failed...in what capacity?

Legion: TBD
Nova Roma is still too focused on the idea of a "micronation". We're a society, not a nation.
Hi,Chris,
First let me apologize for the "Woadie" comparison. It was your enthusiasm for wanting to "be" Roman which prompted that one. Nothing else. But I have very little interest personally in politics. As for my interest in re-enactment it goes only as far as the armor and weapons. Military history,tactics,politics are only a hobby and I think the kit looks "cool". While I appreciate the ancients they were very far afield from my way of thinking. Some things were just too much even for an afficianado.Reading,studying, "playing" Roman sure,but that's enough for me. Good luck with your project,though.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Not a problem at all, Andy! Some people are military, some are political. De gustibus non est disputandum, amice.
Obviously not a history student to imply a separation between military and political Rome. If you are not a Veteran, and do not have service with the Roman military, you would not become a politician, let alone a senator in Rome. If you want to live Roman, the first thing you should do is go and enlist in the military and serve for a few years, and then think about politics.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:Obviously not a history student to imply a separation between military and political Rome. If you are not a Veteran, and do not have service with the Roman military, you would not become a politician, let alone a senator in Rome. If you want to live Roman, the first thing you should do is go and enlist in the military and serve for a few years, and then think about politics.

What? Did you even go look at the links?
I do not usually bother with generic links that send me to another index. I don't have time to spend trying to search for whatever someone thinks is meaningful on a huge page of forums and links. If you have a specific link, wonderful, otherwise, are you kidding? I have too many books to read, papers to review and things to do, to read another 'Nova Roma or something different' LARP page.

Are you a citizen in the United States? Is your country at war? Are you in the military or a veteran of the military? Of not, don't tell me how you live a modern Roman ideal of Politics, please. 'Virtus' was the most important quality in a Roman man and a Roman politician. You can't partake of 'virtus' if you don't fight the enemies of your country. All Romans who were in the Senate or serving in politics were veterans. They may not have been military men, but they had been in and with the military.

And true Romans were misogynists, so having females in political office, or making laws and rules, wouldn't be acceptable either. Thank goodness RAT is not trying to recreate Roman politics!

All hail the Empress Jenny!

:lol:
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
If you're not interested, that's fine. As far as veterans go, Romans also kept slaves, but we're not advocating slavery? Moreover, there is no longer a Rome to serve under her army. So the point is moot. We were not advocating actually setting up an urbs and calling it Roma. We'll leave that to Nova Roma.

I really would appreciate it if you actually read this whole thread, in which I clearly state we're not bringing back the actual Roman political scene and everything which came with it. Thank you.
Oh dear... :oops:
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
No, I don't think it's fair that people who come here to receive this invective. It's hurtful.
Salve mi amice Scerio (aka Chris),

I don't know how it happened that it seems that you made a bad start here. I can assure you that the people here are usually very friendly and helpful. But this forum is of course different that the SVR, here are more reenactors while at the SVR we are more on a scholarly basis - not saying though that here aren't any scholars but here they put it into practise by reenactment while the SVR is totally virtual but definitely something different from the NR.

@all: Chris is really a nice chap with a deep love for Ancient Rome. His interests focus more on the Civil life than the Military but nonetheless he would be a fruitful member for the discussions on this forum as well.

In amicitia et fide

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Was the political system of the Roman Republic unique? Corvus 3 2,037 08-01-2019, 08:12 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus