Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some help with Latin translation
Pictoria,<br>
<br>
one picture is some posts above as a "first glimpse"; I'll hold You all up to date - here another one with the groundwork ready:<br>
<br>
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/uwe-bahr/Groundworkreadyforpaint.jpg" target="top]img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/uwe-bahr/Groundworkreadyforpaint.jpg[/url]<br>
<br>
Jasper, thank you for Your advices. For the other stones I used Your excellent imagebase and tried to reconstruct the one of Tiberius Iulius Pancuius and a mix of Firmus and P. Flavoleius Cordus. I will give them fictive names and inscriptions, because the stone of Marcus Caelius is the only one referring to the Bellum Varianum so far.<br>
<br>
Greets - Uwe <p></p><i></i>
Greets - Uwe
Woohoo! Cool dude! They look the part!<br>
Now for the difficult part: painting them in garish colours that have to look convincing. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Jasper,<br>
<br>
and a greater problem is the inscription on Caelius' tumbstone: 5 rows with different size of letters. The three lower rows are of rather small letters, I am still testing the best way how to depict them. I even tried to copy the picture from the imagebase down to the size of the miniatures. The result was that the inscription was no longer readable.<br>
<br>
Does anybody have an idea how to solve this problem, felt-tip pen or coloured pencil or would You even try to paint the inscription with a very fine brush?<br>
<br>
Greets - Uwe
To be evil: you should paint it in relief , so three shades at least. Can you maybe find someone with a very hi-res printer?<br>
Or print it full scale then find a good copier and scale it down?<br>
<br>
<p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Hi Uwe,<br>
<br>
That piece is looking fantastic so far, can't wait to see it's progress.<br>
<br>
For the lettering, have you tried using a very small straight edge, like a very fine small screwdriver head, to make in impression into milliput. Gradually build up each letter as a series of straight lines. Each letter broken down into its component parts, that is. You would need a pretty good magnifying glass, and just gently build up the letters which, thankfully, are made of mostly straight lines anyway. Very painstaking, and needing a very steady hand. However, as it's milliput (or some other modelling medium), you can keep redoing it until it works. I would also make sure the implement with the straight edge is braced against something when doing it.<br>
<br>
Personally, I'd prefer to print out a reduced image but if you wanted to make it in relief that's the approach I'd take. <p></p><i></i>
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Jasper, Tarbicus,<br>
<br>
thank You for Your friendly suggestions, I couldn't answer earlier. Scaling down with a copier resulted in an unreadable inscription, the place is too limited. Also I made an early attempt of constructing my own letter tool with thin sheet metal, but the result was not convincing. Perhaps a very small screw driver is the solution, Tarbicus, but I would have to break the meanwhile hardened inscription range again ... I'll hold You up to date.<br>
<br>
BTW, Jim, very fine photo of You in the 'Roman soldier impression'-topic, I always like to contact people with a sense for humor.<br>
<br>
Greets - Uwe
Hey Uwe<br>
<br>
I think, though again I haven't tried it, maybe even have the screwdriver bound by an elastic band to a rigid object to your right, or left if you're left-handed. Control the screwdriver. A REALLY FINE screwdriver. BREAK EVERY LETTER INTO IT'S COMPONENT PARTS. They're only made up of lines, even a circle is, basically. One of those bloody small PC board screwdrivers. Or the smallest one you can find.<br>
<br>
If not. I've got a good printer. Send me the artwork (I'll give you my email address) and I'll print the bugger for you But you'll have to show me proof of why the physical attempt didn't work<br>
<br>
From what I've seen you're more than capable of it, especially at 54mm.<br>
Jim/Tarbicus. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=tarbicus>Tarbicus</A> at: 1/27/05 3:49 am<br></i>
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thank You for Your friendly words, Tarbicus. I have tried to solve the problem with the inscription and will soon provide You with new photos of the progress.

But in the moment I think of placing Germanicus into the diorama. The problem is: with the tumbstone of Marcus Caelius (that is the focus of the whole scene which I don't want to abandon) the location is specified at Vetera / Xanten.

So my question is: IIRC the mutiny in AD 14 took place at the summer camp at Novaesium. After the mutiny Caecina lead legiones V Alaudae and XXI Rapax back to their permanent camp Vetera from where they went out for war against the Teutons. Could it be possible or does anybody here in this forum know whether the commander-in-chief of the whole campaign, Germanicus, was present at Vetera at this very moment?

If so, I would like to place Germanicus on horseback beside Caecina, holding his 2 years old son Gaius in his arms and watching all together the legion (XXI) on a military road, some soldiers cheering - as we know that little Gaius in his caligulae was very beloved by the soldiers ...

Greets and thanks in advance - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Uwe, have you seen that large diorama of the Varus-column, which was shown a few years ago at the big exhibition in Regensburg?
--- Marcus F. ---
Hadrian,

it may be that I saw it about ten years ago. There was an exhibition in Duisburg with the famous mask and other remnants of the battle and there was also this large diorama consisting of smaller figures. If I remember correct it was built from little Italaeri and Revell Romans in the scale 1 : 72.
Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Isn't there some such diorama in Haltern? I seem to remember something of the sort, consisting of a hugely impressive number of 1/72nd scale troops.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Jasper,

You probably thougt of the large diorama about the legionary fortress of Haltern that You can find on this site:

[url:39v9dh9i]http://www.laurentianum.waf-online.de/mikes/lghalt04.htm[/url].

But, please, anybody can answer my question about the possible presence of Germanicus at Vetera in about 14 AD?

Greets and thanks in advance - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
I'm sure you checked Tacitus. If it isn't in there, it's going to be hard to prove.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:I'm sure you checked Tacitus
Not yet, have none :oops:
Greets - Uwe
IIRC, there was a wall-display of a legion in Haltern too.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys