Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some help with Latin translation
Here's an online version of Tacitus' Annals: http://classics.mit.edu/Tacitus/annals.html
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Thank You, Jasper, I will still have to think it over, whether I put Germanicus to the diorama.

In the meantime I have finished my 3 tumbstones at least, so here a new photo of my stonecutter's work bench:

[Image: rapaces%20tumbstones.JPG]

I intend to put a standard-bearer on the right side of the setting, this gives me the chance to display the famous mask of Kalkriese. Has anybody an idea what there could have been painted on the vexillum, anything that specially refers to the legate of northern germania. Is it imaginable at all that a high officer like Caecina had his own standard?

[Image: rapaces2.JPG]

Thanks in advance - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
I hope this is entered in some competitions, it is looking great!
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Those look GREAT! Good job Uwe! Never thought I'd be raving over model tombstones :wink:

About your vexillum: you might use EX(ercitus) GER(maniae), though I think that terminology is probably used later.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
wow, that looks great!

i wish i could do that!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Thank You, friends.

Quote:Never thought I'd be raving over model tombstones
As You are the master of our tombstone image data base, why not? :wink: And thanks for the advice about the vexillum.

Apropos raving, did You see my two ravens on one of the stones? I thought they fit well with tumbstones that are a symbol of death. Beyond that from my view they represent the Romans' adversaries in this setting. In the Germanic mythology it was god father Wodan himself who sent his two ravens 'Hugin' and 'Munin', also called 'Thought' and 'Memory', into the world every morning in order to spy for him.

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Yes, I did see those ravens, they're a very nice touch!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys