Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cool Herodotos Inspired Novel by Gene Wolfe
Hello! Big Grin
Problem of majority of the novels about the Antiquty - usually they are much less impressive and interesting than the original sourses on which they are based. The worst mistake of all novels about the history - to place modern character in the historic environment and to describe his (or her) adventres as in cinema (a kind of Elizabeth Taylor as Cleopatra).
I found one novel which have no such kind of mistakes.
It is book by American fantasy writer Gene Wolfe "Soldier of the Mist" (1985).
It`s not quite a fantasy novel. Let`s call it culturological novel. Impressed by Herodotos Wolfe re-creates internal spiritual world of the ancient people and thier vision of the world around them, there hyerophania (the revealing of the God or the pagan gods) is usual experience of everyday life.
Hero of the novel, soldier Latro, retreats with the defeated Persian army through Greece in 479 B.C. and tries to remember his past and to understand his own life. (Epigraph to "Soldier of the Mist" is taken from "History" by Herodotos, book 9, 62-65. If you would read it you would understand, why Latro lost his memory). Wofe tries to re-create heroic and religious aspects of the ancient culture of the Mediterranean world.
IMHO novel "Soldier of the Mist" is among the best novels of the Ancient Greece. It is written as poem in prose, with its own rhythm of narration. Probably Wolfe was impressed also by European Symbolist artists (Klimt etc.) and by their vision of the Antiquity.
Continuation is "Soldier of Arete" set in Athens. Less impressive... There are no aswers to all questions and sometimes it`s hard to understand the plot and the author. And after the first novel you should wait for more... But, sorry... Let`s say: "Thank you!!!" for "The Soldier of the Mist".
This October (2006) would be released next book - "Soldier of Sidon" which describes travel of the main character through Ancient Egypt.
Probably this attempt would be more impressive than the second novel.
These novels are not much known and popular, but for me "Soldier of the Mist" was an opening and unexpected gift.
Probably somebody knows something like that - interesting but not much known modern fiction books about Antiquty?
I don`t mean Flaubert Big Grin cry: - these authors are well known. And I don`t mean the authors who are trying to popularize their political outlooks or sexual preferences via novels of Antiquty Big Grin .
Quote:These novels are not much known and popular, but for me "Soldier of the Mist" was an opening and unexpected gift.
I know - I have both! Thank you for the info about part three, indeed let's hope it's more like the first book..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yeah, let`s hope that "Soldier of Sidon" would be better reading. Previews of the book are exiting:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/gen ... -sidon.htm

"perhaps the best novel set in ancient Egypt ever written" -

http://darkecho.com/blog/?p=246

What we would have in reality?
The book is released.
Here you could read review:

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/books/sfw13875.html