Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birch Pilum Hafts?
Does anyone know if there's any archaeological evidence for the use of birch as hafting material for pila? I've read of both ash and holly being used for spear hafts, but I don't know about pila...

Thanks.

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:Does anyone know if there's any archaeological evidence for the use of birch as hafting material for pila? I've read of both ash and holly being used for spear hafts, but I don't know about pila...

Ash and hazel are the most common in the UK for hafting shafted weapons in the Roman period. There is a birch (Betula alba) handle on a hoe from Newstead and birch arrow shafts are known from the prehistoric period, but it does not appear to be common (it is not a very long-lasting wood, evidently). That being said, the Romans were great opportunists, and strange woods could be used if need be (the Corbridge Hoard box was made out of alder, a wetland species commonly found near rivers and good for very little, so presumably the result of clearance, rather than targeted acquisition). A pilum shaft from the Saône was made of ash.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:the Corbridge Hoard box was made out of alder, a wetland species commonly found near rivers and good for very little,

Isn't alder the wood that was used to line the walls of the Saxon burial chambers? It has wonderful preserving qualities, in that it doesn't rot as fast as other woods.
Probably Corbridge box was designed and make to preserve under earth, not only by that wood properties: it has a cover of leather outside. It's sure romans knows that alder wood properties.

Do you know if romans use the lime tree, or Littleleaf Linden (tilia cordata) wood? For shafts?
Thankyou gentlemen Big Grin
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!