Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flavius Crispus in Munich
Avete, amici!

well, I'm in Munich for a few days (until wednesday, 10/13). As usual, I'm looking to buy stuff for my unit or just get together with other Roman reenactors. If anz Romani in the area would like to get together, I#m at the Maritime Hotel near the Hauptbahnoff, in room 221. My evenings are mostlz free.

Also, I'm trying to reach Toni Feldon, but left his phone number on my desk at work. If anyone has it, can they send it to my personal email address: [email protected] ? Thanks!
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
I am not in Munich, but I can wish you a pleasant stay! I happen to know the hotel, had no complaints about it. Whatever you do, don't forget to go to the Glyptothek (Altar of Domitius Ahenobarbus, statue of Alexander at Chaeronea, Aphaia sculptures), the Alte Pinakothek, and the Deutsches Museum. It is a lovely city.

Your Bavarian hosts will, polite and correct as always, say that you need to go to Dachau as well; but between you and me (and a rabbi I know), WW2 has been hanging as a dark cloud over Germany for far too long. A time has come in which you can go to the Bierhalle and simply enjoy a good beer.

If you find time to go to the Limes Museum at Aalen and the Open Air park at Rainau, you will find that your time is well-spent. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Thanks, Jonah, for the advise. I spend a lot of time in Munchen, but I always try to hit the museums you just mentioned, camera in hand. The Glyptotech and State Archaeological Collection (mostly Greek vases and Hellenistic-Roman jewelry once in Ludwig II's private collection) is having an exhibit on the mythology of Troy, with a nifty full-scale wooden Trojan Horse out front.

This time, I was glad to see the rather poorly named "state prehistoric collection" (which actually houses some very fine Celtic, Roman and early Germanic antiquities, not exactly prehistoric) is having an exhibition on Herculaneum with some wonderful artifacts beautifully presented. Alas, I looked in vain for the "Herculaneum soldier" remains, and the rest of the collection, which includes both of the famous Thielenhofen helmets, seems to be closed off while the Herculaneum exhibit is in residence. I was hoping to get some better photos of those helmets for the Legio VI real gear page and the RAT helmet database, but oh well. Still, a great exhibit and I bought a nice terra sigellata (sp?) footed bowl in the gift shop!

I also discussed with a well-known Munich antiquities dealer the now infamous artifcially aged Deepeeka trooper helmet which very nearly ended up in a prominent antiquities auction. He said the company has printed out pictures of all Deepeeka products to make sure it doesn't happen again. The worrisome thing is, now that Deepeeka is improving their product line to more closely resemble the real thing, it will get progreessively tougher to spot this kind of fakery. I offered to vette any future Roman military gear they get against this possibility, and he happily accepted my offer. So hopefully, it won't happen again.

BTW, I#ve tracked down Toni Feldon#s number, so no need to provide it.

Veritas et vita,
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
Hi David,

Quote:well, I'm in Munich for a few days (until wednesday, 10/13).

is that until Wednesday (Oct 11) or 10/13 (Friday)?

Anyway, I would be delighted to meet you if we can find a time - I'll PM you
David, it was great meeting you and looking forward to the next time you're around!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flavius Crispus coming to Frankfurt / Cologne! FlaviusCrispus 4 1,426 04-23-2006, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Martin Moser
  T. Flavius Crispus coming to Munich FlaviusCrispus 0 804 06-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Last Post: FlaviusCrispus
  Flavius Crispus coming to Londinium again FlaviusCrispus 7 1,996 07-19-2004, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Crispvs