Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoplite Artwork
So, do we actually get to play as the hieros lokhos in the campaign, or will we be playing as Macedonia or something?

Maybe there could be a mod to allow them in multiplayer later. Smile
[Image: parsiaqj0.png]
[size=92:7tw9zbc0]- Bonnie Lawson: proudly Manx.[/size]
Theban "Sacred Band" is the most famous but,
Argos, Arkadians, Phokians and Thessakians had "Sacred bands" and the Eleans had "logadae".
These units were distiguished more from their shield device rather than armor.
No matter how hard pressed the finances would be the city state would do its damnest to equip these troopers in the best popssible way so the would be better armored than other hoplites.

I do understand the different objective of depicting a "game unit" somewhat uniformly but there could be rich hoplites with better outfits than the "elite" unit.

Kind regards
Stefanos: Hmmm.... what kind of details would make for a more "expensive" panoply? I am curious. Do you have any references? I ask this, because I can pretty much put 4 or 5 variations of armor on the hoplite for "0 A.D." due to our randomization system, so that in-game a hoplite will have a random selection of armor out of the 3, 4, or 5 I give him.

Quote:So, do we actually get to play as the hieros lokhos in the campaign, or will we be playing as Macedonia or something?

The campaigns havent been decided yet, but it's my plan to play the part of both the Greek city-states and Macedon in the Macedon/Greece conflict section of the campaign.
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Before the Industrial revolution metals were expensive.
Iron came into play because it was cheaper than bronze.
The Archaic hoplites had bronze weapons and even owned vambraces and "leg" armor. But they were few and were something like foot knights.
Classical ritch hoplite would afford hoplon spear helmet, bronze cuirass grieves and sword. The democratic city state refoerm brought increase of the hoplite corp but since not many could afford much bronze, grieves and metal armor started declining. some were even swordless. Rear ranks in a small city state might be armorless with only spear shield and helmet.
The indroduction of pilos helmet in the late Peloponesian war was a sign of poverty.
Tell your partners to consider finding a consultant.
Kind regards
We have consultants. lol My question was specifically in regards to the look of the linothorax, not the history involved (I am well-versed in the history you mentioned). What accutraments would be present on a linothorax that was "more expensive" than another? Additional reinforcement would be my guess, but underneath, over the shoulder flaps, or covering the outside of the entire linothorax?

We already have representations of the Pilos/Ekdromos-style hoplite and Bronze Cuirassed-style hoplite in the game (as well as plumed and non-plumed variations of corinthian helmets), thanks.
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
The Panoply rate would be:

1 Helmet, shield, spear, metal armor, sword, grieves vambraces.
2 Helmet, shield, spear, metal armor, sword, grieves
3 Helmet, shield, spear, reinforced metal-linen armor, sword, grieves
4 Helmet, shield, spear, linen armor, sword, grieves
5 Helmet, shield, spear, linen armor, sword
6 Pilos helmet, shield, spear, metal, armor, sword
7 Pilos helemt, shield, spear, linen armor, sword,
8 helmet, shield, spear, no armor, sword

Kind regards
Michael, just a tiny criticism of the linothorax, they did not curve around the back of the neck. They tended to have a flat peice about six inches wide that sat a little higher than the shoulders. the join where it comes together with the shoulder flaps was then about 100 to 120 degrees.

The rest of it however PERFECT!
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou
You asked what things would go on the Linothorax, as it became more expensive? well the cheapest would be no scales, next up reinforced metal scale and the next (watch me get crucified by others) a metal plate on the chest. about 10 inches wide and six to eight inches deep, that was placed below the neck in the middle of the chest. My reference is the pompeii mosaic and a few helenistic images.

just my two cents worth.

Jason
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,709 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite