Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoplite Artwork
Inspired by Johnny's Hypaspist thread. Smile

My Hoplite:
Click to view!
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Michael, I can't get access to the image (Forbidden).
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hoplitai
Homoioi
'Zenodoros'

the last one is clearly fictional, just a character concept I wanted to work with.

Some of these are fairly rushed, I have better examples that are either unfinished or not scanned. I don't finish work often, I prefer sketching.
[Image: parsiaqj0.png]
[size=92:7tw9zbc0]- Bonnie Lawson: proudly Manx.[/size]
Tarbicus: Link fixed! Thanks!

Zenodoros: Nice work! Your style has a non-refined, yet distinctive quality! Very cool. I especially like the gruesome Spartan Kopis, what with scalp material dripping off the blade. Big Grin

What do you think of my guy? His pose isn't quite as vicious as yours! Wink
Mythos_Ruler, I like it nice work especially the armor
and Zenodoros, very nice as well and was the scare on "Zenodoros" ment to look like a lambda? That was my favorite part.
Valour is the strength, not of arms and legs,but of the heart and soul
-Lee
Nice one, Michael! I just felt the urge to ask, but is the hoplite inspired by my poor attemt as shown at AoM Heaven (for those of you wondering: noooo I won't provide a link, you don't want to see it!)?

EDIT: I just noticed Zenodoros' artwork. Sweet!
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
Lee, Michael Good work.
But press on it relentlessly like a phlanx!
What is good can be made perfect!
Kind regards
Susanne - I never saw your attempt! You should show us anyway. Big Grin
Thank you. Big Grin

Michael, your hoplite is great, of course. Excellent detail on the linothorax especially, I think you have a better understanding of drawing it than I do. You should try a Spartan sometime!

Quote:and Zenodoros, very nice as well and was the scare on "Zenodoros" ment to look like a lambda? That was my favorite part.

Yeah, that's the idea. Smile I believe he gets it from Polydeukes and Kastor, if I recall his whole story correctly.
Zenodoros - were you the one to comment about my hoplite on Deviant Art? Just curious.
why do you guys always cut off at the shins? fear of feet? Big Grin
** Vincula/Lucy **
Paper's not long enough, usually. Sad But I'm practicing drawing feet more comfortably, I find them to be the hardest - by far - of all parts of the body to draw.

And yes, I did reply to your hoplite, Michael. Smile
Thats what happened to me too - the paper wasnt big enough for my mind's eye or else I would have continued drawing downwards. Wink

I went ahead and used my own concept work as a basis for a new hoplite texture for the game I work on, "0 A.D." (image attached)
Wow, looks cool. Think we can see a model of it?

Also I saw 'hieros lokhos' written on the sidebars of the main site, does that mean there's a Sacred Band afterall? Big Grin
Quote:Wow, looks cool. Think we can see a model of it?

Also I saw 'hieros lokhos' written on the sidebars of the main site, does that mean there's a Sacred Band afterall? Big Grin

I'll "talk to da boss" about posting a little example here of what it looks like in-game.

About the Sacred Band, if I had prizes to give out, you'd win a prize, because I put the Hieros Lokhos reference in the Revision Log to see if anyone would notice. :lol: No, they won't be in the game as a standard unit, but will make an appearance as part of the game's single player campaign. :!:

A quick question about the Sacred Band for anyone who knows (Stefanos?): I know the Thebans began to use quite a bit of lamellar reinforcement in their body armor. I was wondering how this would have looked. How visible would this have been and where on the torso?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,795 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite