Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ars Dimicandi about european Reenactment in german news
Thanks Velite, much appreciated. I must admit that I am still very skeptical of leather segmentata.

On the subject of the coriis tegimenta, I feel this is a likely candidate:
link from old RAT
I doubt that you would say they are part of the armour, but are simply covers to protect against the elements such as rain.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Per chiarimento, in inglese, 'caress' significa la carezza. La corazza invece è 'cuirass'. Smile
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Excuse me Ulpius for my mistake.

I will certainly remember "cuirass".

Valete
Velite
Rita Lotti
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.arsdimicandi.net">www.arsdimicandi.net
Dear Tarbicus

I understand that you to be skeptic, but we don't want to convince anybody.

Some questions have been asked, and I have tried to give some answers. I don't pretend to answer to everything because I am not informed on all the particular.
Others more informed of me can give more you deepen answers.

The best way to understand you as is made our segmented cuirass it would be you touch with hand the material and to see you as to be built.

However for geographical distance is not possible, sinned!
Valete
Velite
Rita Lotti
so then, if you can give instructions on how to make this leather armor, I will try and make it here in the USA and show people. If I cannot make it, I can find someone who will do it! Then people can touch it, as I do travel to many different 'events'.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
I have not contributed to build this leather cuirass and I cannot point out the method of manufacture. Dario Battaglia has built this cuirass and he can certainly point out method of manufacture. In these years of experimentation we have manufactured various models of cuirass in leather crust.

If by chance you happen in Italy, we are always available to show cuirass in crust leather. We are always to disposition of everybody if someone wants to see or to try this cuirass in crust leather.

Valete
Velite
Rita Lotti
So, where are the sources?
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
Quote:The leather that AD has used it is "leather crust" thick 5 millimeters. The segs. built from AD weigh around 4 kilos. We have experimented this segmentata both on the battleground (quite a lot times) both in the field jobs. A gladio hammered of point in any part of this cuirass has provoked a deep cut around 2 millimeters. The leather crust is seed-rigid and reduces well the hits.

I don't sincerely see the utility to strike arrows against the segmentata (in general) because the legionary had the shield as principal protection. With the shield it defended very well himself against the arrows or other (stones - missile acorns - javelins). When he fought in formation it always effected the denominated formation "testudo" and one of these weapons rarely reached his body (and the Romans always fought in shut formation.)

The most common weapon on any low-tech battlefield was the spear. 5mm of unhardened leather would not prevent a spear thrust. According to Williams' results even 5mm of hardened leather offers little resistance against a spear thrust. Your armour will have no joy resisting a sword thrust either. There is no point testing this armour against sword cuts since even a few layers of cloth is sufficient to resist such an attack. Thrusting is the key. Not only does leather offer less resistance to a thrust but, unlike metal which causes the blow to glance off, leather causes the point to catch and bite - preventing a glancing blow. In order for leather armour to be successful it needs to be constructed of multiple layers, or layered with another type of armour such as mail.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
[content removed for the not very nice meaning]

Duh.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:[size=150:223ni6f4]Rules for Roman Army Talk [/size](fondly called "RAT" by our users)

The Internet is a great place to find information, to meet new friends and share ideas. However, as you discuss here, remember that other people cannot see your nonverbal expressions. Please, [size=200:223ni6f4]think before you post.[/size] Read your words, and then read them again. Use Emoticons (the smiley faces to the left of the posting window) to make your emotions (smiling, joking, etc) very clear to others.

Everything you need to know about Internet communities (like RAT), you've learned back when you were in kindergarden: Play nice, don't hit, and apologize if you hurt someone. We're talking about the simple, polite rules of society that even kids know, but seem to be so rare in cyberspace.

Well, politeness isn't rare here

[size=200:223ni6f4]MODERATORS...! [/size]
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Quote:[size=200:50p5a307]MODERATORS...! [/size]

Better now? Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Very good IUS ROMANUS! Smile

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

EDITED ON REQUEST.

and there i was, thinking that most people on here laughed a little about that certain organisation in Italy......... must have had it wrong then..........

Ah the gods of Rome...... what have they done to our city.............

and to re-enactment for that matter..

I am sorry to say, I just visited their site, and what I saw there is definetely not as good as I ever have seen in european re-enactment. Furthermore... I find the boasting of their engagements in Film Productions which hold ABSOLUTELY NO!!! originality or historical correctness, a bit over the top....

in stead of learning from a lot of other renowned historical re enactment groups, they obviousely do not learn. I say this because the equipment on their photos is not at all correct.

but you all can see that in plain view!

I have much more respect and esteem for Marcvs Ivnkelmann to be honest.......

who am I ?? just someone who vents his opinion.

so if someone of Ars gets angry with me for saying this....

shikata ga nai. tough luck. its my PERSONAL opinion. nothing more nothing less.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:this!! is my right on free speech.

Do you know the mening of that? It does not mean right of free insulting. Apart from the opinion one can have about Ars Dimicandi, (and just to set the record straight, I have nothing to do with them) boorishness is boorishness anyway. Sorry guys, but I think that moderators have not yet completed their job to to extinguish surely future flames here...
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

Agreed. One can express an opinion without being insulting (though I think I may have gone close to the line in the past). There is also no "right" to free speech here. This site is privately funded and the owners are free to eject anyone they like for any reason they like.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books