Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robinson\'s Armour of Imperial Rome
I'd like members opinions on the worth of this book please . I'd like to find out how good it is before I pay $400 US for a second hand copy.

Thanks.
Adam Carr
I have it, and though $400 Aussie is not a bad considering some prices I have seen, I feel that it would only be worth forking out big bucks for the sentimentality and rarety of the book.

I dont think that there is anything in it that you cant get anywhere else these days.
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
It's the largest collection of photos of original helmets (and a few of Robinson's reconstructions) that you'll find in print, as far as I know. It certainly doesn't include EVERYthing--many more have turned up since 1975. But it's the basis for Robinson's typology and shows all the examples he could come up with. It also has smaller chapters on different types of armor (including the first published accurate reconstructions of the Corbridge lorica segmentata), and photos of numerous pieces of sculpture and artwork showing Romans in armor.

I still refer to my copy now and then. It's still not really "outdated", just no longer complete or entirely adequate. There is certainly a growing number of good images online these days, the RAT database in particular, but some helmets you might still only find in Robinson.

The price sounds a tad steep, but then I've already got one! (Mom bought it for me practically new, around 1981, for about $25.) You must choose your own path, Jedi.

Vale,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
I've had Robinson on my Abebooks wish-list for years and the prices were always hiiiiiigh. A few weeks ago one came up for GBP 90, which was cheap. I was lucky enough to get it. Big Grin However, the point is that if you want this 'bible', you'll either have to be patient until another cheaper one comes up, or just bite the bullet and shell out at least USD 250. Most second hand bookdealers know the price it fetches.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Jasper:

What is your opinion? Was it worth the wait?
Adam Carr
Sure, but I'm also insane and have a bug which allows me to pass on very few books that have got anything to do with ancient warfare. I therefore have the corresponding book budget (or I really don't but spend it anyways).
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Ave omnes,

what's about the 'small' Robinson 'The Armour of the Roman Legions' ?

Something like the Osprey titles (40 pages)?

I just found one on abbooks priced 13 EUR and ordered it 'blind' :wink:

Perhaps, I'll also get a 'real Robinson' one day...
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
ahhaha cornelus! i got what they wore on hadrians wall by robinson that way too
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
I honestly dont know why one of us doenst scan the bloody thing, and share copies......only if I had a scanner.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:ahhaha cornelus! i got what they wore on hadrians wall by robinson that way too

Ave Chuck,

so I'll prepare changing my kit to match foggy British wall watchers fashion? :lol:

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Quote:I honestly dont know why one of us doenst scan the bloody thing, and share copies......only if I had a scanner.

Ave Paul,

...only if I had a Robinson :oops: :lol:

Quote:I honestly dont know why one of us doenst scan the bloody thing, and share copies.
Copywrite? :wink:
** Vincula/Lucy **
Quote:
Primvs Pavlvs:31jwu7it Wrote:I honestly dont know why one of us doenst scan the bloody thing, and share copies.
Copywrite? :wink:

sshhhhhhhh be vewy vewy quite!
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:Copywrite? :wink:

Ave Vincula,

right!

The old medieval monk's rule: If you want a copy - write!

(I'm totally law-abiding. And too lazy to write. Anyone interested in trading my old Canon Scanner for a genuine Robinson's 'Armour of Imperial Rome' ;-) ) )

I have both, but Robinson is too big! The pages don't fit on the bed by quite a margin.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Needed “Female Gladiators in Imperial Rome Medusa Gladiatrix 3 1,631 01-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Medusa Gladiatrix
  Arms and Armour of the Imperial Roman Soldier sesdelta38 14 5,489 10-16-2012, 12:49 AM
Last Post: Agricola
  Roman Imperial Armour - Sim and Kaminski Vindex 7 3,143 01-31-2012, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Vindex