Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RTW defeating the Phalanx
what is the best strategy to beat the Greek Phalanx with the Roman army. i struggle to do this task and am very angry. <p></p><i></i>
It's not foolproof, but I always try to stop them with two strong units of infantry (set to 'hold position') and then flank them with some fast-moving cavalry. Peppering them with some archery while you do it helps.<br>
<br>
Of course, their flanks are usually guarded by some other units if the AI is doing its job, but if you can get your cavalry (or heavy infantry) behind them, they break up pretty fast.<br>
<br>
Alternatively, you can hold them and hit them with successive volleys of javelins. That takes longer though, and there's always the danger that your holding units will break in the meantime.<br>
<br>
Hitting them with onagers while they lumber towards your lines is also fun if you can manage it.<br>
<br>
For me, it's not phalanxes that make me groan when I see them on the horizon, it's those bloody elephants. I hate elephants.<br>
Cheers,<br>
<p>Tim O'Neill / Thiudareiks Flavius<br>
<br>
Visit 'Clades Variana' - Home of the Varus Film Project<br>
<br>
Help create the film of Publius Quinctilius Varus' lost legions.<br>
<br>
Come to my [url=http://www.ancientworlds.net/member/Gunthigg/Thiudareiks" target="top]Stathigg[/url] in [url=http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/City/23413" target="top]Germania[/url] at the [url=http://www.ancientworlds.net/" target="top]Ancient Worlds[/url] community.</p><i></i>
Tim ONeill / Thiudareiks Flavius /Thiudareiks Gunthigg

HISTORY FOR ATHEISTS - New Atheists Getting History Wrong
Try hiring a couple of units of Mercenary Greek hoplites to anchor your center - and go head to head w/ the enemy phalanx. The use your heavy Roman infantry on the flanks of these troops to crush the - usually lighter - enemy troops against them and then turn to outflank the phalanx.<br>
<br>
Barkhorn. <p></p><i></i>
One way...<br>
Finding a way to take their flank and out manuever them is the way to go. I set a holding force to fix the enemy and put as many missiles as possible on whatever flank phalanx is going to be hit. Then cav and flanking force to achieve mass superiority against their covering force on whatever side you are going to hit. So that you can get at that first phalanx at the end of the line. (Have a reservce cohort or two ready to do this.) Once one goes the whole line starts to crumble.<br>
<br>
All this organizing and maneuvering has to be done fast, so organize and group your troops early to minimize the clickfest.<br>
<br>
Los <p></p><i></i>
Los

aka Carlos Lourenco
The deployment phase is vitally important as it - usually - spells the difference between victory and defeat.<br>
<br>
Barkhorn. <p></p><i></i>
Yeah, how do you beat those elephants! The only thing that I've found that works is lots, and I do mean lots, of missles. Maybe it's just me, but they seem to be just too ahistorically effective. Any fixes that remedy this? <p></p><i></i>
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.