Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sulla, Memoirs
I am on the search for Sulla's Memoirs. As far as I understand, Plutarch used them heavily for his research for Sulla's life in Parallel Lives, and by what I have been able to find, they seem to exist, if only in scraps here and there. Does anyone know if there is a place to locate the memoirs, if they are at all available?
[Image: RAT_signature2.png]
You'll want Peter Hermann's Teubner Historicorum Romanorum Reliquiae, vol. 1, which contains the extant fragments of Sulla's Commentarii from quotations by other authors.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:You'll want Peter Hermann's Teubner Historicorum Romanorum Reliquiae, vol. 1, which contains the extant fragments of Sulla's Commentarii from quotations by other authors.
So this would mean that there does not exist the direct source material itself; rather, there only exists second-hand sources, even if they do quote it?
Yes, that's correct; there's no known manuscript of Sulla.

(by the way, welcome to RAT, Saul)
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
One wonders if a copy of Sulla, along with a lot of OTHER works, like an uncorrupted copy of Caesar, still lies buried in the villa at Herculanium??? One can only dreammmmmm Confusedhock: :lol:
Duane C. Young, M.A.
On a related note.

Anyone who is interested in reading a well-written, well-researched biography of this ellusive man from a fair perspective that doesn't view him as (perhaps merely) blood-thirsty tyrant should read
-Keaveney, Arthur. Sulla: The Last Republican, 2nd ed. Routledge: London, 2004.
It's mostly based on Keaveney's thesis, which is actually a biography over Sulla. I highly recommend it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Memoirs of Hadrian: The Movie Lucius Galerius Falconius 39 22,928 11-15-2015, 10:55 AM
Last Post: Marcus F.
  Memoirs of Hadrian Arthes 12 3,384 10-03-2006, 01:41 AM
Last Post: JRSCline
  New Film: Memoirs of Hadrian Niedel 7 2,615 01-03-2006, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Arthes